Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A post in which my desk explodes

Work was incredibly nuts today. You always have to pay for time off eventually.

We had free lunch today, but was barbecue. Ordinarily that means a plate of cole slaw and baked beans for yours truly, but Anna told me today that the beans had rashers of bacon in them though. Pleasantly, though, they had made some veggie pasta as an alternative, which was nice. So I had their pasta, which made a change from my pasta that I have been eating for lunch. But hey, a free lunch is a free lunch. I had cookies too, but they were oatmeal, so they don't count right? Usually when I smell barbecue it makes me hungry, but they had a plain tray of pulled pork on the line today, to which you could add what sauce you wanted. I have to say it didn't smell good to me at all. I very seldom notice that meat smells bad, as other vegetarians say they do, but the smell of this pork didn't make me want any in the least.

Afterwards, though, I went and worked out. For the first time in 4 days. And burned 300 calories. So only 5 more workouts to go to burn off the brownies from Tuesday - woo hoo. Well, assuming that I don't eat the rest of them, which of course I will. 450 calories each. I'm trying not to think of it that way. And it's better to eat the brownies and exercise than to eat the brownies and NOT exercise right? Plus my exercising pulse rate has dropped 15 beats per minute, which is good. Plus I think that may be one reason I was so down the last two days. The only substance I have ever been really addicted to is endorphins. Once I start exercising, if I stop for too long I feel like crap on a cracker. So note to self - a four day break is too long.

After the workout I went home and had homemade mai fun for dinner, did a bit of laundry, and watched a really strange program on telly about cattle mutilations on a show I am increasingly dis-enchanted with called Monster Quest. Bigfoot and stuff like that is intriguing to me (has been since I was a kid - I like the idea of maybe, but I think most likely not now), but I don't need scary big animated monster eyes and electronic growls flashed all over the screen to keep me interested. I find it annoying and tabloid-esque frankly. But at least they got rid of the guy I privately referred to as the "nutty professor", this bearded host guy who seemed to exist mainly to make huge googly eyes of alarm at the screen every time he made even the most innocuous comment. That was when I quit watching last season. It seems he has been replaced by the aforementioned large animated eye with growl. Hm. Too bad for him he couldn't growl I guess. And an animated clip is cheaper.

That's pretty much the way all TV shows are going now, and I guess they have for some time, I just notice it more now. It really seems to be a race to the bottom. Reality TV has just increased the pace. Every year when the Puppy Bowl comes on opposite the Super Bowl, I always think about that horrible show Dinosaurs that was on a while back. In one episode, the father dinosaur is made a television executive, and puts on a show called "Box Full O' Puppies". The show was very popular, but it was so stupid that the average intelligence of the population was going down. To avert disaster, the show was taken off the air. I was very surprised several years later to see life imitating art so exactly. But the Puppy Bowl is still on the air. And at least one person I think of as pretty intelligent watches it every year. Scary monsters.

Anyway, I kind of watched Monster Quest with half an eye while I got ready for bed and did laundry. Then I turned in.

2 comments:

JLo said...

Hey, I thought "Box Full O'Puppies" was a great show idea...

But I'm the one that watches the Puppy Bowl, aren't I...?

P.S. My word verification word is "wooking." Let's start using that in everyday conversation.

thefabulousmrthing said...

Um, yes baby. You were the one I wasn't going to embarrass by identifying by name.