Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A post in which I praise Mrs. George De Horne Vaizey

Today I joyfully re-discovered the works of Mrs. George De Horne Vaizey (aka Jessie Mansergh) online.

I suppose it's simple of me, but I just love her books. The young people are polite and have a quite unrealistic perspective for their age. Although many of her characters are poor, they always triumph over adversity. Her protagonists are to a man (or woman) people that you like and want to root for.

And best of all, everyone turns out happily in love and matched up in the end.

I know that her books were written as morality primers for Edwardian girls. I know they aren't great literature. They're just stories told by an English invalid who tried to make her own little corner of the world brighter. I suppose to some they would be insufferable. But I like it when things turn out well. Her books make me feel good when I finish them.

Given her life, it's a triumph that she was able to remain cheerful. She had a strong faith to help. Her first husband died of addiction. She won a cruise with one of her stories and met her second husband, but was then crippled by rheumatoid arthritis. She continued writing from her wheelchair. Maybe her stories just appeal to the anglophile in me. Whatever the cause, her books are dear to me.

No comments: