Saturday, June 15, 2013

A post in which things don't go quite as planned*

But it all worked out in the end.

I was up at 6am today.  Yergh.  I really wanted to sleep in, but after stirring around a bit, I just gave up on going back to sleep.  I got a text from Frank, and he ended up coming by for a while.  He is a nice guy.

After seeing him off, I made some breakfast and waited for Jody.  Now I know that everyone's idea of 'early' is not the same as mine.  I also know that the grass needed to dry before Jody could even mow it.  But 7:30 came, then 8:30.  Finally after 9, I messaged Jody.  The ladies were not yet stirring.  Oy.  But I had plenty to do.  I told him to come on when they got ready, and decided just to go on to Rhonda's.  In the meantime, I fooled around in the kitchen, washing the dishes and making beverages.  I got my tools together, and about half-way to Rhonda's I got the text that they were en route - great.

I got to Rhonda's and put up her knife rack.  That went very smoothly, and I did a beautiful job, if I am bragging on myself.  I cleaned it all up and we headed for the Swamp Rabbit.  I needed eggs, and Rhonda likes their fruit.  All the bike riders where there today because the weather was pretty, and they all looked askance at us for being older and out of shape, but that's pretty much par for the course there.  While we were there, I got a call from Jody.  The mower was smoking.  I told him just to push it on.  If it died, I would just have to get another one.  When we got to the house, the mower was silent, and Jody was tinkering with it.  It seems it had lost a bolt, and he was worried it was going to come apart.  Oy.  I told him just to please finish mowing if he could, and went in the house to get ready to go.  Eventually, after much tinkering and futzing around, he got the yard mowed, and we left.  Apparently that mower wasn't such a great deal.  Dammit.  So that's still not sorted.

We dropped Jody at his house, and headed to Easley.  We stopped at a thrift store on the way out of town, and Rhonda found a juicer she wanted, so she got that. 

We had to stop on Tuesday because I was worn out, but I really wanted to do the 93 corridor in Easley/Pickens.  There are some really cool stores out that way, and it's a nice place for a browse.  We had lunch at the Mama Mia Pizzeria, which has decent, if not fancy, food; and then it was on to Pelzer.  We stopped at the Stockade, which is an interesting place. Rhonda hadn't been before, and I wanted her to see it.  It's an old jail that has been turned into an antique place.  The proprietress is a quite interesting woman who puts off a vibe.  She's compelling to me.  While we were there I found two pieces of my pattern, Florentine, that I had never seen before.  They were marked as parfaits.  I suspected they were vases, but they were $25 each, which was a bit steep for me (especially right now).  But she marked them down for me, and I bought the pair for $40, which was a pretty good deal, since book value on them was about $30 each. 

Florentine or "Poppy" parfait/vase in green, but Hazel-Atlas, circa 1932-1935

Leaving there, we went on to ABC antique place.  Justin turned me on to it, and it's a favorite.  Rhonda was enthralled.  They have always had a LOT of stuff in there, but it has gotten so full now that in places it's hard to get through.  Rhonda found a couple of things that she wanted, but unusually I came out of there empty-handed.  By the time we got to downtown Pelzer, the other thrift store that was on my list was closed.  Perversely, they close early on Saturdays.  But we were both tired anyway, and I needed a nap.  So we headed back to my place.

We had a drink and relaxed for a bit.  I took a nap and woke up hungry.  We decided to go see Latrice for supper, and went to Lifeit Cafe.  She had some pizza left from Friday (which is pizza day), and Rhonda had been wanting to try the pizza, so that worked out well.  We both had pizza.  Sadly, Rhonda didn't like hers - it had bell pepper on it, and she hates bell pepper.  I also had a marinated spinach salad and Rhonda had the carrot and raisin salad (which had teeny tiny raisins in it, and interestingly was flavored with cinnamon).  It was tasty, and that was the cheapest I have gotten out of there yet.

We decided to go for dessert, and ended up going downtown to Marble Slab.  The weather was beautiful and there were tons of people downtown.  So we ate our ice cream and watched the people go by.  By the time we got finished, we were both pretty much all in.  It had been a lovely day, but we had been all over the place and we were both tired.

I dropped Rhonda at her place and headed home to bed. 

No comments: