Sunday, June 2, 2013

A post in which it is a lazy, lazy Sunday*

I woke up with a headache and filled with lassitude.  Yes, gentle reader, Auntie Mame was hung.  Not badly, but enough to quell whatever remaining call to duty might have stirred today.  I had to go get Jody at 10am, but I re-set the alarm, turned over, and went back to sleep.

I did dutifully arise at 9:30 (well 9:45-ish) and headed over there.  He, of course, with youth on his side, the body of an athlete, and a lifestyle chock full of clean living, was full of the proverbial p&v.  I dropped him in the yard and went in to prepare sustenance. 

After a scramble of caramelized onions, sauteed tomatoes, cheese curds (rejects from Rhonda with a delicious cheesy, yeasty, stringiness when melted) with eggs and toast, I had just started to feel something approaching humanity when things went quiet in the yard.  The mower had died.  Another one.  My lawn is not lawn beautiful.  It is unkempt and unloved.  It is a virgin to the application of weed killer or fertilizer.  It is not a welcoming patch of ground.  It has eaten three (now) mowers since I have lived there.

I SO did not feel like going to buy a lawn mower today. 

So I didn't.  I set Jody to weeding a bad patch (he had finished mowing the front yard) and told him when he was done I'd take him home.  He wasn't at the house but for about two hours or so, so I just paid him $20, which he tried to refuse, bless him.  He's such a nice kid.  I thanked him, but told him I didn't expect him to work for free. 

After that,  I was blessedly free to go home and vegetate.  Which I did.  I went back to bed. 

I played on my phone, and sent texts back and forth with Adam.  We talked a lot last week, and I'm beginning to think he is high maintenance.  He wants to text back and forth ALL the time, and I'm just not up for that.  Particularly today, when I was trying to nap. He also has taken a rather mercinary tack in trying to covince me to just dump Gary and see him - a tack of which I am not too fond. He had kind of pressured me in agreeing to lunch today, which I cancelled, and he pouted a bit about that.  I also heard from Tyler today, and from Reggie, who I had also seen at the party last night, and with whom I have a complicated history.  We all kinda flirted around, but I couldn't muster the gumption to do anything about (or, more to the point, with) any of them.

I dozed off and on, but kept getting text messages.  Eventually Adam shamed me into getting up around 4pm or so.  I just shuffled into the kitchen to see what was on offer.  I had thought I might make a 'tomato' casserole a la Berryman House (because Jiffy Cornbread has been indescribably delicious lately), and had been by the grocery store to pick up stuff to finish it with this morning after dropping Jody off. 

So I turned on a Roseanne marathon and started cooking.  I made two packages of cornbread and caramelized a large onion.  Then I mixed the crumbled cornbread and onion along with a large can of stewed tomatoes and another of corn.  It looked a little dry, so I moistened it up with some of the buttermilk I had left over from making the cornbread, bunged the lot in a casserole dish, topped it with the rest of the cheese curds, and threw it in the oven.  It turned out surprisingly good, and it was simple enough.

Adam, however, was not happy.  Since I was cooking, I wasn't returning his text messages.  He finally just called.  I picked up, but wouldn't stay on the phone because I was busy.  He'd already called me once today, to basically just sit on the phone 'because he was bored'.  Oy.  I don't have the time or the patience for such teen-agery.

I cleaned up the kitchen, got cleaned up, had some casserole for supper, and prepared for bed.  Again.  Tomorrow I have to close the month, and I have to hit the ground running.

Gary and I were supposed to talk tonight.  He wanted to do it yesterday, but I put him off to give him 24 hours to settle a bit before we went into a 'relationship discussion'.  (Oy.  We have to have those already?  I don't miss them.)  Nonetheless the scheduling situation has to be addressed.  But not tonight.  I heard from him.  He's at the hospital with his aunt, who is terminally ill.  I told him of course not to worry about me.  His focus is appropriately on her.  I will admit to not being horribly disappointed not to go into it all today. 

I was juuuuust about asleep when I heard a knock at the door.  It was Chris.  Double-oy.  I like Chris, and he's always been nice to me.  But he's kind of bad news, and he's a little scary.  Now that's the essence of trade, and Lord knows I loves me a bad boy, but I've tried to back away from Chris.  I got rid of him once, and then let him back in a couple of years later.  I hadn't heard from him for a while, and he had lost my number (he said tonight) so he just showed up.  I let him in.  Against my better judgment. He got (pretty much) what he needed, destroyed my bathroom, and left.  I'm not sure what it is about me that keeps him coming back.  It's flattering, in a way, but that really doesn't change the fact that this is not a super idea...    

No comments: