Saturday, June 22, 2013

A post in which it is a nice day out n about with Gary

We slept in this morning, which was nice, but Gary likes my bed so much he doesn't want to get up!  Eventually, I told him we had to go for breakfast before I resorted to cannibalism.  We had decided to go to the flea market this morning.  He wanted to go, and I needed to look for lawn mowers (yet again).  After a quick run through White Horse flea market, I could see that the mower guy was not there - apparently he isn't coming any more.  Dammit.

But in the meantime, we headed for breakfast at Stax Omega.  The place was packed, so we decided to eat at the bar.  I haven't done that in years, but it was OK.  Unfortunately the service was pretty slow, and we might have done just as well to wait for a table.  I LOVE their omelets, but this morning I was hoping there would be a lox plate on offer.  There was, but then I saw they were offering a CRAB BENEDICT!  I love Eggs Benedict almost more than life itself, and a crab benedict is actually an improvement on that.  So I knew what I was having.  Gary ordered an omelet, and we munched contendedly while I watched (and heard) the restaurant drama go on around us (we were right at the server line) and Gary watched the news on the overhead monitor.  We talked a little bit about the George Zimmerman trial.  Gary doesn't think it is even possible for him to get a fair trial any longer.  He may be right.  I have read about the case off and on, and I'm not sure what to think at this point.  My key thing is why he followed Trayvon Martin Martin after the 911 dispatcher specifically told him not to do so.  I'm glad I'm not on the jury.

After breakfast, we headed for the Anderson Jockey Lot.  Gary hadn't been to a flea market in years, and that is the one to go to if that's the case because it's so huge.  Unfortunately we had left it a bit too late, and people had already started to leave.  It was heating up.  But we had a nice walk and a look around.  We didn't end up buying anything except some vegetables.  That was fine with me - I scored big last weekend.  I had just gotten all of that put away. 

By the time we left there, we were both hot and ready to relax for a bit.  We went back to the house, ate our leftovers from last night (the portions at Della Ventura are HUGE) for lunch, and laid down for a while.  We took a little nap, and when we got up decided to go to dinner and a movie tonight.

Dinner was at Pita House.  Gary had been craving hummus, and they have the best I have ever eaten.  They are not big on atmosphere there, but the food is great.  After a lovely meal of falafel, we ran by the store so I could pick up stuff for breakfast in the morning, and then it was off to the movie. 

After some discussion, we had decided to go see This Is the End tonight.  I confess that I had not read the reviews, but I knew they were good.  It had a fresh rating for over 80% on Rotten Tomatoes.  I had thought that it was a spoof of disaster movies.  It wasn't.  It was supposed to be a 'funny' apocalypse movie.  First of all, I don't get the conept of a comedy about the apocalypse.  There are plenty of ridiculous things to make fun of in our society, and even about religion.  But when you start with the apocalypse - very realistically depicted - you have a long way to go to make it funny.  They didn't get there.  What wasn't blasphemous was distrubing.  There were a few weak smiles scattered in there, but they were few and far between, and not nearly enough to leaven the leaden premise.  I kept thinking it would get better, but it actually got worse.  In the end, unsurprisingly, most of the protagonists made it to heaven.  That was a relief, but even the concept of heaven was weak, facile, and poorly conceived.  I left the theater disturbed and feeling as if I needed to offer a prayer of contrition. 

If this is what passes for humor these days, well you can count me out.  If something like the apocalypse is up for being satirized (poorly) than is anything sacred?  What's next?  A dead baby cookbook?  A cannibal musical?  While I agree with freedom of expression, and I don't believe that the arts should be censored, there should be a line of taste somewhere.  What distrubs me the most is that this movie has been roundly lauded by the press and the public. 

Needless to say, when we got home I wasn't exactly in the mood for amour.  I put in a movie to clean the yuck out of my mind, and we turned in.  

No comments: