Sunday, June 16, 2013

A post in which I make some finds*

Now the plan today was that I would take it easy(er) and do a few chores.  But I needed fruit.  Rather than go to the flea market near my house, I messaged Rhonda.  Since she was up, we went up to the Barnyard flea market in Greer. 

Althought I thought we had gotten there too late to find any glass, it was actually quite a good glass day for me.  I found some Dogwood luncheon plates that were too cheap to leave at $2 each, so I got them.

Dogwood 8" luncheon plate in pink, by Macbeth-Evans Glass, circa 1930-1934

We meandered on, having a good rummage.  It was pretty again, and there were tons of people around.  We got to the front row, which is always the busiest, and there, tucked among the stuff, was a Block Optic candy dish, complete with lid.  When I asked about it, the woman said "It's $20.  We're cleaining out Mom's house, and she's been asking $35 all day, but no one has paid it.  Just give me $20 and get it out of here."  Which I hastened to do, before Mama came out of the car.  I'm quite sure she will be quiet upset with her daughter for selling it for that.  The book value on it is $55, and although it has a small flea bite in the underside of the lid rim, it's still worth more than I paid for it.  That was quite a find!

Block Optic flat candy dish (there was also a footed one) in green by Anchor Hocking, circa 1929-1933

So, having found those treasures, I bought some little seedless watermelons for fruit (that was, after all the official reason for going in the first place), we skedaddled.  I was hungry, and I've spent so much money this weekend that lunch out seemed inadvisable.  So I dropped Rhonda at her place and headed for mine.

I heated up some quiche I had in the fridge, put my mattress pad in to wash, and contemplated lunches for this week.  I had four good-sized zucchini that needed to be used, and had decided to stir-fry them along with either some rice or noodles.  Now rice would have been easier.  But when I went to the cupboard I was almost out of rice.  I had some noodles that I had bought on yet another excursion to find lo mein noodles.  These still weren't right, but they were authentic Chinese noodles.  Now I have made them before, but they never came out right.  I just found out why recently.  These noodles are supposed to be soaked in cold water and then cooked quickly in boiling water (as you would with fresh pasta) before you stir-fry them.  So I put my noodles in to soak, and stir-fried the zucchini with onions, garlic, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, and a little rice wine. Then I cooked the noodles and stir-fried them as you would for lo mein.  They weren't lo mein noodles, but they turned out well, the texture was greatly improved by doing them properly (even though it was kind of a pain in the ass), and they were tasty.  So I was pleased.

As I was finishing up, I got a text from my friend Jay, who was up visiting from Atlanta.  He came by for a visit.  He's such a nice guy, and I don't get to see him very often, so that was nice.

After he left, I got cleaned up and headed off to take the recycling and to the store.  Since I've only been buying fill-in stuff as I needed it to use up bunny basket ingredients, I'm not at the grocery store as much as I was, and I'm running out of some of the staples.  I bought stuff but hadn't taken a list, so when I got home I had forgotten the sugar, which was the main reason I went.

I ate dibs and dabs for supper, having a nice little salad out of some lettuce Eve had given me and the butt of a bottle of dressing.   I ate some crackers and dip (Rhonda had recently off-loaded some unacceptable organic crackers on me that she didn't like) and a veggie burger, and then finished off the Rice Crispy Treats I had in the cabinet - not a bad supper. 

I put the bed back together, did another load of laundry, and folded up the sheets before I collapsed.  But lunches are ready for the week, and the house is pretty much in order.  It was a really nice weekend, if busier that I had planned...

No comments: