Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A post in which I execute a flanking maneuver

Today I got my desk in order.  Month/quarter-end is solidly on track.

I mailed four of the seven graduation cards.  I looked up the word I thought I had misspelled, and gratifyingly I had got it right. 

Apparently my being caught up at work has caused some kind of rift in the climate.  Ordinarily in the summer here, it dries out.  We're used to being on drought watch, OK?  This spring we had weeks of monsoon.  It was a long, cold, wet spring.  I at first attributed all the deluge to some kind of supernatural endorsement of Jinkx Monsoon.  (He does, after all, move in mysterious ways...)  When Lake Hartwell filled up, however, I began to fear the worst. (Lake Hartwell being full again is one of the seven signs of the Apolcolypse, I think.)  But then things levelled out and I figured we could get on with summer.  Then today it all started again.  It poured as if the sky was in mourning for Madonna's virginity.

I had carried my umbrella in this morning, but the tempest was so bad that I waited a while to leave work to see if it would calm down.  (I also had a late placement - three days into the month, seven accounts, and $70k in placements already *sheesh*.) But no dice.  I finally just got my head covered and waded out to my car.  In my new Crocs hikers that I just got last Thursday.  But onto each shoe some rain must fall, I suppose. 

I drove by Lifeit Cafe on the way home, and toyed with stopping, but a) I really didn't need to spend the money; and b) I didn't want to get out in the rain again.  I do need to go back in there.  I finally did my shout-out on Facebook for the place, but I realized with horror that when I paid last week my tip hadn't gone onto the charge.  They have a complicated online checkout thingy that may be cheaper for the store, but it is tricky to get the tip on.  So I felt like a colossal ass!  There I was raving about her food, and about how I wanted to help her business - meanwhile I hadn't even tipped!  Oy.  Apparently the universe disapproved of my decision not to stop today - after I passed it, the rain, which had let off a bit, intensified again.

While on that topic, I am delighted to report that plans I had carefully laid came to fruition today.  I talked to Russ about Lifeit last Saturday.  He was underwhelmed with the idea of going there, to say the least.  Undeterred, I called Logan yesterday and enlisted his help in swaying Greenville's bear power-triad to get them into the Cafe.  It worked!  So then we started planning when we would go.  Rhonda said she was fine anytime.  Then I started going through my schedule.

Tomorrow - maybe dinner with Adam (I haven't made up my mind yet, but my hinky feeling is telling me 'no')
Friday - in Columbia for graduation
Saturday - the barbeque at 12 Oaks for Cody's graduation
Sunday - Gary is here
Monday - Lifeit is closed

So I set things up for Tuesday.  I'll be off work, having that cyst taken out of my back.  But I'll probably be up for supper later, and Rhonda will already be at the house. I can just keep her there, and if I need her to drive she'll already be in residence.  Now, I just need the confirmation from the boys and we'll be good to go.

I corresponded with Cole.  After talking to Larney at work today, we worked out that I actually couldn't get away with just a card for Zack.  Sigh.  His family has been very good to Cole (he practically lives at their house, they feed him all the time, and um, they have invited him to go to freakin' HAWAII with them this summer), he is Cole's best friend, AND to top it all off they have invited our entire family to a graduation celebration at their house on Friday.  So yeah, I had to come across with something.  Fortunately, Larney had a suggestioin  - an iTunes gift card.  Perfect - more thoughtful than a small amount of money, and he could pick out what he wanted.  No straying into trying to discern the tastes of a heterosexual teenage jock whom I barely know.  All I needed to know was if Zack did iTunes.  Cole, who has logged literally thousands of hours with Zack (again, he almost lives at their house) had no idea.  I'm like how much of a man could you be??  But he found out, and it was cool.  So now I know what to get.  Wisely, I had completely ignored Eve's (many) gift suggestions for Cole in favor of giving him money, which is what I'm sure he wants. 

I heard from Gary.  Of course he's closing Saturday.  Oy.  But he plans to drive on up Saturday night.  I'm a bit worried about him being out on the road so late, but then his driving up and back on Sunday is a lot of time on the road in one day, so there really isn't a good option for the weekend.  Since he didn't come last weekend, he really wants to come though.  I guess we'll work it out. 

There was a Master Chef two-hour episode on tonight, and I settled in to watch that, but Lisa called.  Ava (fortified with sugar and loads of chemicals from going to the ice cream parlor with Mom today, and pretty much levitating in her car seat) wanted to scream at me through the car radio.  Lisa has some kind of newfangled gizmo that does allow you to talk back and forth through the radio (I don't know either).  And scream she did!  By the time all that was over Lisa had lost (yet another, I'm sure) range of hearing and I had lost the thread of the episode, and kind of lost interest.  Meh.  It's not like I need to watch more TV, right?

Eventually, I pulled my lascivious head out of the internet vortex and went to bed.

No comments: