Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A post in which I finally have this thing seen to

Today was the day I had been dreading, and at the same time was looking forward to putting behind me.  I was having this cyst out of my back.  It had showed up on my PET scan, and Dr. Go is worried about it.  Because he was so worried about it, I was too.  But I was ready to have this over with.

I was up hours before Rhonda.  I gave up trying to sleep, and just got up at 5am or so.  I started getting ready, and when Rhonda woke up I got in the kitchen to get some things done in there since I had the time, and couldn't stand sitting around while she got ready (not that it takes her long).

I made Kool Ade (at the same time kinda wondering if I should be using it up - I mean what if I had to go back into treatment?), and coffee (I have switched over to iced coffee for the summer).  I put together another cucumber and tomato salad, since I had both left and we finished up the other one last night.  I made myself some breakfast.  And almost before I knew it, it was time to go.

We were there on time, but of course Dr. Mann made us wait the obligatory hour and a half before he appeared to do anything.  To kill the time, I caught up on text messages and we talked about the upcoming July 4th trip to Savannah.  Jo Ann asked if I would make a dessert, and of course it would be my pleasure. 

And then the doc was there.  Once he came in, it went pretty quickly.  He was brusque and easy-going, and immediately told me he thought that this was just a sebaceous cyst and no more.  That was what I figured, but of course my fear was that he would cut me open and go "Oh my God." and just close me back up.  But he didn't.  He excised the cyst pretty quickly, keeping up a string of chatter to keep me distracted.  I didn't feel much, but there were twinges that it's easier to ignore if you have something else to focus on.  And then bob's-your-uncle I was sewn up and he was done.  He told me he's sure that it's just a cyst, and nothing to worry about, although we're sending it off for biopsy as Dr. Go asked.  It was quite a change from the way he was the last time I talked to him.  His easy confidence made me confident.  I left feeling MUCH better.

Rhonda and I went through Red Ribbon Resale, just because we were over that way anyway, and they are only open during the week.  But as usual I didn't find anything I wanted.  But I got the fever for a good rummage.  I just felt too good to go home.  I wasn't hurting, I was greatly relieved, and I had the day off.  The weather was beautiful.  We headed for Easley. 

We had lunch at The Starving Artist Cafe, which I was happily right about thinking that Rhonda would enjoy, and we nosed around a couple of antique stores in the area.  While we were doing that, we heard from the boys.  We were supposed to go to Lifeit Cafe tonight for supper, but there had been a mix-up and they had made other plans.  I frankly thought that they were just trying to get out of going.  I was pretty disappointed.  This was the first rummage I can think of in a long time when I came away without buying anything.  I found one Little Jewel bowl, but it was sick, and a lovely Petalware monax piece that was all chipped up.  But I was worn out and wanted to go home.  I have tried not to worry, but I know I have lost sleep over this, and I had been up very early this morning.  I took up Rhonda by to pick up her prescriptions, and then we went home for a little nap.

I woke up ravenous.  So I got up and put a quiche together.  It was too wet, and I dropped it coming out of the oven (thankfully it wasn't too damaged), but it tasted OK.  So we had busted quiche, cucumber salad, and fried potatoes for dinner.  It was pretty good.  And to top it all off, the boys got in touch and made plans to go eat at Lifeit tomorrow night.  All was good and right.

After supper, I took Rhonda home, and returned to my house to turn in.  I was glad to get to bed.  It had been a really good day. 

No comments: