Thursday, December 20, 2012

A post in which it is food day

Well as the serendipitous fates would have it, I was back up at 2am.  So the cake got glazed.  I also cleaned the kitchen, had a snack, and checked email.  I eventually did go back to bed, but I was just sleeping well when the alarm went off.  Two more days until vacation. 

My cake turned out pretty, and it was almost perfect, but the top of it had gotten a little over-done.  Other than that I was happy with it.  It was dense but not heavy, fine of crumb, moist, and had a good flavor.

I knew today would be a long one, and it was.  I worked on the report for the twit meeting (also scheduled for tomorrow - really) all morning, and then finished up the slides for the All Hands Nap tomorrow afternoon.  Alan sent back two revisions.  I waited three hours to be safe, then distributed the slides, at which point (of course) he sent the third revision.  Grrr.  I also eventually did my regular work. 

Most of the cake got gone.  I usually give the remainder away, but it had turned out so well I decided to take a couple of pieces home with me.  I cut up what was left and packed some pieces up for me, and some for Dad and Eve.  Chocolate pound cake is her favorite. 

By the end of the day, I was tapioca-headed again, and I left on time.  Plus I had stuff to do.  I took the cake by for Dad and Eve.  She seemed very pleased to get it.  Then I went to my house and got in the kitchen.  I make mashed potatoes that I should have made last weekend, finished my shepard's pie, and threw it in the oven.  I had some of it for supper, and when I cleaned up the kitchen I was miraculously free for a little bit.

I got online and chatted a little.  One of the reasons I wanted to have some cake at the house was that I have an assignation tomorrow.  A buddy of mine named Chip will be on his way up to see his family for the holidays.  He lives in Florida, and breaks the journey by staying a night with me.  I thought it would be nice to have a piece of homemade cake to offer him, although of course he really comes for the... hospitality.  He was on Bear411 and we chatted for a bit and made plans for tomorrow. 

Then I turned in, hoping to get some sleep.  Tomorrow will be another long day, but after that it will be over for a bit, and I'll have a nice long break.  I am SO ready!!

No comments: