Monday, December 3, 2012

A post in which I close the year

For a lark, I decided to check today to see if one of my favorite old movies, Between Two Worlds, was on Youtube.  It was!!  They hardly ever show this one on TCM.  There were several re-makes, and the only reason this version survives is that it was one of the earlier vehicles for John Garfield.  The movie had been cut up into eleven (sheesh) pieces, but it was there.  Between parts, I checked, just for the heckuvit, to see if it had ever been released on DVD.  It wasn't the last time I checked.  It WAS!!  Very excited, I ordered a copy.  I felt kind of like I had won the lottery.  The last time I got to see it I had Billy save it on their DVR after a late-night showing.  We watched it, but they weren't very impressed with it - Russ fell asleep.  I'm really excited about getting a copy.  I know I shouldn't be buying for myself right before Christmas, but I'm sure this is a limited release, and I just wouldn't take the chance there would be none left after the holidays. 

I left for work feeling pretty good, and as if I was ready to face the week.

I was wrong.

When I got to work, I tucked straight in.  I sent the agings to Manila so they could get started, saved all of the emailed reports out of my email, and started work on the reserve reports.  I loathe the reserves.  They used to come on different days, but Alan has had them moved so that they both arrive on the first day of the month. 

The reserve reports are mind-numbingly boring, tedious, and time consuming; which is why my boss moved them to me.  Also, I can't possibly get them done fast enough.  He's usually asking me for them before I even get the raw data to do the report.  But since I had both reports to start (since the last day of the month was Friday the 30th, all the reports ran over the weekend, and I wasn't waiting for things to come in) I started on those first.  By about 1pm, they were both done.  As usual, it was awful, but at least it was over.  When the reserves are done, the outlook on closing the month always seems immesurably brighter.  I started on the other reports.

Then my boss walked out to my desk to inform me that he had forgotten to send me updated information that had to be on the reports.  Because of that, they were both wrong.  Because of that, they would both have to be done AGAIN.  Grrrrr.

So, repressing the little voice in the back of my head going KILL KILL KILL, I tucked in and started the reports over.  I did take a break because my boss told me to, and because my brains were just tapioca.  Finishing the reserves again took most of the day.  When I finshed for the second time (doing these reports twice in one day just has to be outlawed somewhere in the Geneva Conventions) I did my regular calls and just decided to start month end tomorrow.  I got out of the office a litte before 7pm.

I had thought I would throw a frozen pizza in when I got home, but I had little ends of things that needed to be used up.  I made a small salad out of the remnants of a bag in the fridge, and topped it off with the last of a bottle of dressing that needed to be used.  I toasted some bread I had gotten out over the weekend for a sandwich I never ate.  Then I threw one of those telish Lightlife burgers into a bowl of leftover gravy and cooked it together in the microwave.  Since those burgers can be a tiny bit dry, that actually worked much better than I expected.  I diced it up and poured it and the gravy over the toast for a surpisingly toothsome open-faced sandwich.

With dinner accomplished and the kitchen cleaned, I folded my towels and put the last load of wash in so I could have my new sweatpants clean and ready to wear.

Then I collapsed into bed. 

No comments: