Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A post in which it is dinner out with the rents

I was up at 2am this morning anyway, so I sent Josh a text.  I didn't hear back, but figured he didn't have his phone on him.  I did hear back from him later today though, and that was nice.  Unfortunately yesterday's rain made for a busy night at the ER.

Although I started work with the best of intentions, I did no ISO work today.  I finally fell back on doing account reconciliations (at least those needed to be done), but I know next week is going to be crazy, and I really need to buckle down and make this happen.

They had free lunch today at work, which was nice, although the food didn't look so great.  I just got a plate and made a big salad (there was a salad station on offer).  It would have been a healthier option if I hadn't used so much salad dressing, but I did. 

Since I was a little peckish this afternoon, I sampled the dish of the day on offer at work.  One of the groups is alternating people to bring in a dish every day for December.  The twist is that each dish is supposed to have a 'secret ingredient' that you have to try to guess.  Now that sounds like fun, and I pride myself on my palate, so I was intrigued.  The woman today actually brought two cakes.  One apple cake, and one carrot.  I tasted and tasted, but nothing really seemed different or exotic.  I finally thought she must have sweetened them with maple syrup.  The secret ingredient was: cinnamon.  Yeah.  Way to walk on the wild side.  And who would make an apple cake without cinnamon??

I had dinner with Dad and Eve tonight,which went well.  I  hadn't seen them in a couple of weeks (they begged off last week) so we had plenty to talk about.  There was Christmas coming up also.  Eve is trying to set up a day after Christmas thing at their house, which will eat into my vacation time, but it will work out.  Dinner tonight was at Lieu's, and it was good, although I've eaten better meals there. 

Afterwards I went back to the house to visit and talk.  It was a cozy evening in front of the fireplace, with the love seat in the den piled up with Christmas presents.  Eve just does not believe in doing things at the last minute, and her shopping is already pretty much complete, and mostly wrapped. 

There is still no word from Jason.  I'm wondering if I should just send him an email and tell him I'm not going to have time over the holidays to see him, but that seems petty.  Of course, not telling him anything seems wrong too, although that's what he's doing to me.  I feel vaguely conflicted and bad about the whole situation.

No comments: