Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A post in which I am surprisingly on top of things

After the nightmare that was yesterday, today was surprisingly placid.  I was up with insomnia, so I had a cigarette this morning with my coffee, which was bad.  When I got to the office, though, I just tucked in and started making things happen.  Carla was on point this month too, which helps tremendously.  By the end of the day, I was caught up, and had already turned in my short form for month end for approval.  Good for me.

I called the doctor and worked some things out about my prescription today.  It was embarrassing, but I had Lady Beth's strictures on her gift to spur me to actually do it, and I got it done.

I got the quote and the cover design proofs on the cook book today!  It's very exciting.  I didn't like the first two covers she sent, but I pulled some stuff off the web and sent it to PIP to try to give them a better idea of what I wanted.  In the end, it's pretty perfect.  It's not going to be cheap, but at $7 a pop, I really can't complain.  That will be 'extra' gifts for folks this year.  I'm pretty stoked about it!  There is something so deeply satisfying about seeing your name on a book cover.  It's hard to explain.  It feels like such an accomplishment. 

I had the night off tonight.  Eve had sent a text this morning, and they were in Wilkesboro today to see Grandma Shumate.  I hope this wasn't the Christmas visit.  I've had her present since October, but haven't gotten it wrapped and over there.  I'm leery of sending things to her in the mail because the mail service at the home is sketchy and undependable.

Laundry was caught up, and although it would have been a good night to do Christmas cards or work on my feets, I felt dis-inclined for either.  I decided just to 'look around' some stores.  Maybe I would get an idea for Russ-the-impossible's Christmas present.  I nosed around Stein Mart, and talked to Dad for a bit after I came out.  I sent Eve a picture of a hoodie I'd like to have.  Although they give me so much I wouldn't think anything much about it if they didn't get me anything for Christmas (or just something small), I know from experience that she'll go out and spend a bunch of money anyway, and have resigned myself to the fact that it ought to be money spent on things I actually want.

I went by the Dollar Tree and got some fancy crackers.  They were really low on those.  I had been listening to a radio news report on the port strike in Los Angeles, and wondered if that had anything to do with the low stock, but the crackers are baked in Canada, so it shouldn't.  I bought a ball for a needy child as I checked out.  Because of money issues, I probably won't be giving as much to charity this year as I usually do at the holidays, but I'm trying to do a little along as I go.  Despite the new debt, I try to remember that I'm so much better off than so many.   

I avoided the temptation to blow money on dinner (I had spent quite enough today, thank you).  When I got home I got out a packet of noodles I had bought when I was in treatment and just mixed those up for supper.  For some reason I don't seem to be able to get enough pasta this week.  No idea what that's all about.

After supper, I fell into the internet vortex for a while, and just didn't seem to be able to pull myself out of it.  I knew I needed to go on to bed after last night, but I got caught up chatting with a rather charming nurse from Chesnee named Matthew.  He's cute as a bug too. 

In the end though, I finally turned in. 

No comments: