Friday, December 7, 2012

A post in which I have dinner out

I was up at 4:30am this morning with insomnia.  I finally just got up. 

Work today was steady, but in many parts an exercise in trying to find things to do to keep from working on ISO.  I figure I'll start it next week.

When I got off work tonight I didn't feel like going home.  I didn't need to spend any money, but this Friday had kind of crept up on me and didn't feel like a 'real' Friday for some reason. 

I went got in touch with Billy to see what they were up to, and it turned out they were going downtown for supper, to a place called Handi.  I've eaten there once before, and it's good, but you have to fight the parking and hiking in thing to eat downtown, so that's not where I usually eat Indian.  They weren't going to eat until 8:30 (ugh) but since beggars can't be choosers and I was tagging along, I resigned myself.

I chatted online for a while, and then got ready and headed out.  As I got downtown and was actually walking to the restaurant, I got a text from Billy that they were going to be late.  Grrrr.  But again, beggars.  So I strolled through downtown looking at people.  The weather was nice and there were a lot of people downtown.  I ran into my friend Eddie on his break (he works downtown) and bummed a cigarette (I'm blaming that one on Billy and Logan), before strolling on up to the restaurant. 

It ended up that four of Logan's young hip college friends joined us.  They were very nice, and attractive, but really me taking part in the conversation was like my cat doing it.  They were talking about advanced physics, and extensively about a show called Adventure Time, about which I know very little.  My knowledge level frankly matches my interest level.  There were a few conversational off-shoots in which I could make a contribution, and they were very polite to listen to my attempts; but in general I was smiling and nodding, or kind of just looking at them. 

By the end of the meal it was late, and I was pretty worn out with trying to keep up, so I begged off a follow-up trip to Coffee Underground and headed home and to bed. 

No comments: