Sunday, December 2, 2012

A post in which it is an entertaining Sunday*

I woke up this morning at 8am.  The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. 

I got up and had some left-over foccacia bread from the party last night for breakfast.  It was pretty much hard as a brick (I think someone forgot and left it in the oven last night - it never made it to the table), but I found that copious amounts of butter straightened that right out.  I scrambled a couple of eggs with some scallions that needed to be used up to accompany it, and had a fine breakfast. 

After that, I fell into the internet vortex.  There was plenty that needed to be done, but short of straightening up just a bit and putting the party stuff away, I just didn't feel like doing it.  Today though, was one of those days that makes all the hunting worthwhile.  I ended up talking to a nice guy named Sean, and he came over for a visit.  In all frankness, it was amazing.  He was young, beautiful, eager, deliciously responsive, and happy to be there.  It was an epic visit. 

After I dropped him off, I got home and got in the kitchen.  I'd had such success with the cake (not to mention with Sean) that I felt like I was on a roll.  I had put out the last of the goat cheese I got for my birthday to thaw yesterday.  It needed to be used.  It was very strong, so I figured there would be plenty of flavor there for a batch of cream sauce for pasta.  To that end, I put on a pot of farfalle water to boil. I caramelized an onion, and added some celery left from making stuffing, cooking them until soft; and then added some facon bits I had in the freezer (that also needed to be used), and a bag of frozen sweet peas.  I  don't know why farfalle seems to call out for peas to me, but it does.  With my veggie/facon mixture done, I set it to the side and concentrated on my cream sauce.  I'd forgotten to buy any milk, so I used my coffee half and half, augmented with a little can of evaporated milk I keep in the cabinet for emergencies.  I made a quick roux, added the milk, and as I brought it to a boil I added the chunked goat cheese, and an emulsion I had made of a small amount of white wine and miso.  I probably didn't need the miso, but I had it for making gravy, and I'm always looking for new uses for it. 

After all was combined, I packaged it up for lunches next week, and ate the remainder.  It was pretty tasty. 

I rested for a bit, and then had a bowl of left-over ziti from last night for supper - yummy - as I watched the Sunday night line-up on the Food Network.  I like that new show Sugar Dome.  Tonight's challenge was to make Dr. Seuss characters, and it was good, although they had the president of Dr. Seuss Inc (or whatever it is) on the show.  She was most businesslike.  It was rather disturbing to think of Dr. Seuss's innocent little round-bellied cartoons being tarted out as cash cows.  I suppose it's the way of the world, but I don't think the doc would approve. 

No comments: