Saturday, December 15, 2012

A post in which I am once again disappointed

It started off to be a lovely day. 

I woke up in a good mood and went to the flea market.  There wasn't much on offer, but then I didn't need much.  I had only gone over to get some onions, but while I was there I was of course going to stroll and see what was on offer.  There was no glass, but while I was wandering, I heard one of the sellers say she sure wished she had a banana, she was craving one.  Aglow with Christmas cheer, I thought easy enough.  I went inside to see one of the produce vendors to get her a banana.  As I was going through (I rarely go inside any more), I noticed a whole table of tiny high-heeled boots for little girls!  Now I think that it's a really bad idea that they make such, and I loathe the sexualization of young girls as a concept.  But I also knew that Ava would LOVE to have a pair of those boots.  I could just barely resist long enough to call Lisa.  With her reluctant consent, I had official leave to buy them.  They are white high-heeled(about 1.5") boots, and they are about the most precious thing you have ever seen.  I try to be a good uncle.  I really do.  And I know it's wrong to spoil her.  But this is the gift I am really excited about giving this year.  I just CAN'T WAIT!

With the boots bought, and even more aglow at this point, I went to get the banana.  I felt like a saint.  I felt wonderful.  I figured I couldn't possibly get any goodness points for something that made me feel so good immediately.  When I didn't have change, the produce vendor just gave me the banana for free.  I thought well I really am not going to get any points at all in heaven for this now, but I felt so good that it just really didn't matter.  I gave the surprised woman the banana, bought my onions, and left.

Tonight was my date with Josh.  I was so excited to see him, but I had no idea when he would be free.  I knew he worked last night, so he would be sleeping, but when I saw him last week he saw me Saturday day, so maybe...  I sent a text, but got no response.  I figured he needed his rest.

I went on home and started cooking.  I made the filling for my shepard's pie, but didn't start on potatoes.  I figured there were other things I needed to do.  I changed the sheets, folded a load of laundry, straightened up the house, and had a lie down because I had been up early and didn't want to be too tired to enjoy myself.  Still no word from Josh.  I sent a couple more texts.  Crickets.

I put away my filling and cleaned up the kitchen some, but eventually it became obvious that I wasn't going to hear from Josh.  I was SO disappointed.  I had really been looking forward to today.  I thought about staying home and sulking, but didn't really want to do that. 

I got in touch with the boys, but they were going to a party that had been a bust the last time we went, plus they didn't invite me to tag along and I didn't feel like begging tonight.  My ego had really had quite enough of a beating for the day.  I called Rhonda, who was free, and agreed to go out to dinner.

I haven't seen much of Rhonda lately, and she always makes me feel better.  After she offered to call Josh and set him straight, we went out for Chinese buffet, and to Kmart to look at the Christmas finery.  I found a copy of How the Grinch Stole Christmas (which I have been wanting to see, and didn't own).  Then we went to Sonic for a peppermint milk shake (they are selling them at Chick Fil Yuck, but I won't buy one there).  Peppermint is one of my very favorite flavors of ice cream, but my shake wasn't very good.  We went back to Rhonda's to watch the DVD, but she apparently can't work her own DVD player, so we ended up browsing Netflix instead. 

We ended up watching Santa Claus: The Movie.  I had never seen it, and neither had she, but I had seen a documentary about the making of it, and they actually broke reindeer to harness for the movie, which I found fascinating.  The real reindeer weren't actually in the movie very often (most of the reindeer in the movie were Disney-esque animatrons), but that wasn't the only disappointment.  Despite a stellar cast (Dudley Moore, John Lithgow, Judy Cornwell), the movie managed to be rather long-winded, over-acted, and tedious.  I believe there are good reasons it hasn't become a holiday classic. 

With that done, we were both tired.  Because we had brunch in the morning with Marty and Petal (and I think as a treat for me) Rhonda came to stay the night at my place.  We didn't get to do our usual slumber-party stuff though.  By the time we got to my place, it was late and we were both tired.  I got her settled in, put the Grinch in the DVD player, and was asleep before it went off.  I don't think it's but about 26 minutes long either. 

No comments: