Friday, December 14, 2012

A post in which I visit Miss Kat and Dana

I was up at 4am today, and finally got on up at 4:20.  Profit sharing had posted to my bank account, and I had to send it to Visa.  Sigh.  Disheartening.  Usually over Christmas break I have some money to do stuff, but not this year.  Still, I can't wait to have eleven days off - to get in some sleep if nothing else.  Besides, I know there will be some fun stuff to do. 

It was hard to get motivated at work today.  There were things I needed to do, but Alan was still out of the office, so was Larney, and they were releasing information on that school shooting in CT.  I can understand being in the place where you decided to check out - I've been there.  What I can't imagine is wanting to kill a bunch of kids first.  I can't imagine going to the afterlife with that kind of evil weighing you down.  I can't get past the families.  I can't imagine how horrible it would be to bury your 6-year-old child a week before Christmas.  That is indescribably horrible.

The day even got off to a crappy start from a personal perspective.  Wednesday I had decided to send Brenden a present, and Cindy and Paul a Christmas card so I wouldn't upset Paul's promise to send Eve some new pictures of Brenden.  She's been living for that, and watching the mail every day.  But since then there has been a blow-up over some guns that Paul left at Dad's shop for over six years.  After repeatedly trying to get Paul to come get the guns, Dad sold them.  So Paul is mad about that, and they aren't sending the pictures now.  Supposedly these were 'family' guns and had a great deal of sentimental value or something, but if they were so freakin' important they should have been a little more motivated to come get them.

Either way, I was back in the middle.  I couldn't let Eve continue to wait and watch and hope in vain.  I had to call and break the news.  Not giving myself time to decide not to do it, I just went ahead and called to break the news.  She did pretty well (she was in a store when I reached her), but called me back about an hour or so later in full melt-down.  She wanted Paul's number so she could call and reproach him, etc.  Fortunately, I could honestly tell her that I didn't have a number to reach him.  It wouldn't have helped her case anyway.  More histrionics is only going to make things worse.  So I listened to her cry for a while and felt like a complete ass, but there wasn't anything I could do to help.  Eventually she calmed down a little and rang off.  Sigh.

So I spent a good part of the day procrastinating.  I had a bad case of the why does this matters today.  I finally just did some invoice break outs for Canada just so the afternoon wasn't wasted.

They were cleaning the fridge out at work today, and all those taco left-overs from Wednesday were going to be thrown out, so I took some food home.  I'm not proud.  I had some black bean burgers that Morningstar Farms makes in the freezer, and they make wicked good veggie tacos so I had a feast. 

I got in touch with Dana tonight and went to see them.  Miss Kat had her office party tonight though.  She had thought it would be right after work, but they moved it to 8pm, so she was gone most of the evening.  It was good to see Dana and hang out with her though.  It's so nice to be at their house. 

No comments: