Thursday, September 23, 2010

A post in which it is a quite busy evening**

Work was insane today. I had to round up slides from all the managers for the (thank God quarterly) employee meeting for credit/customer service. Alan wanted new slides (the managers don’t usually have to do any actual work for this meeting), and sent out an extremely vague email to that effect. I had to get clarification, type out clarification, send out examples, and then make personal visits to their desks to beg them to do the actual work. By the end of the day I was ready to throttle half of the department. I never got anything at all from Retail, the perpetual pain.

I also went through some of the new duties with the woman who gave notice.

I had put off (and put off, and put off) going to the grocery store, or indeed anywhere else this week just because things have been so busy. By today, we were kind of at defcon-1. I was out of cat food and cat litter, turbinado sugar for my coffee, and other basic supplies that just oughtn't be allowed to deplete.

Also, I had a friend come in from out of town. It would have been great timing if I hadn’t had all that stuff to do, but it was really good to see him. Of course I had worn SpongeBob underwear to work today. I went by and spent a little time with him before I started running all the errands, and listened to the latest disastrous update on his on-again off-again (seemingly mostly off these days) with this guy he’s crazy about who of course treats him like garbage.

I left him and headed out, already pooped. I went to the pet store and lugged out that stuff, then by the library to get a book I had requested, and then to the grocery store. Of course they are gearing up for yet another let’s-block-off-Main-Street event downtown, so I couldn’t get through to Publix. I went on to the crappy Bi-Lo near my house and paid too much for coffee. Even with the coupon, I’m pretty sure I got hosed.

I left there with of course everything I needed except the main thing I went in there for – sour cream. I had promised myself that for being a good boy and running errands I would collapse as soon as I got home and have a decadent baked potato dripping sour cream, but that was not to be. By the time I got everything unloaded, in the house, and put away, I was ready to collapse without even eating. I knew that was a bad idea.

I crammed chocolate covered macadamia nuts in my mouth as dinner warmed in the microwave, had a potato, and collapsed on the couch in front of the telly. I didn’t even turn the computer on. After I finished my baked potato (topped with verboten cheese I’m not supposed to have) I put some Brussels sprouts in the microwave, but by the time they were done I didn’t want them. I popped a few in my mouth while I washed the dishes, then brushed my teeth and fell into bed. It’s been a long day.

No comments: