Sunday, September 5, 2010

A post in which I am off to Spartanburg

I woke up to another gorgeous day. I wandered over to the White Horse Road flea market and just walked around, again not buying (or indeed even seeing) anything of note, but just enjoying the fine weather. There were some people down from North Carolina for the day selling apples, and they had an irresistible bag of Mutsus, which are my favorite. The bag I got had a beautiful big fat one, perfectly ripe, right on top. I also picked up some snap beans and little potatoes to cook.

When I left the market, I thought that such a magnificent apple really deserved to be paired with some Stilton, that most noble of cheeses, to make one of my favorite meals. I drifted over towards The Fresh Market in full redneck flea market regalia. I didn’t care. I’ve been cleaning out the fridge a bit at the time in preparation for leaving town, and there really isn’t anything fresh in the house, so while I was there I browsed their excellent deli and picked up “fun groceries” – just little dibs and dabs of things that looked good, and that could be used up before Tuesday. A spot of pasta salad, some salmon in dill cream sauce, a hard roll baked fresh with a crunchy crust, and of course the Stilton. I always get an almond cookie from the bakery when I go too. Just one; but I do love them. I just like going in there. It doesn’t smell like disinfectant, it smells like fresh coffee and baking bread; and they always have classical music playing. Sigh. I would love to be rich. But a little bit of the rich life every now and then doesn’t cost so very much.

I got home and had a leisurely repast, then lay around for a while. I had told Jeff and James that I would be up there early today to help, but I was feeling lazy and indulgent (act surprised). I also hadn’t done a single chore today. So I did the daily chores, got cleaned up, and headed to Spartanburg.

I was really looking forward to dinner tonight with the gang. They always have it on Sunday night, and I am usually haunted by the specter of the coming Monday and my early alarm. Tonight though, I didn’t have to worry because I could stay as late as I wanted. And yay me. I got up there around 4 and talked to James and Jeff while they fixed supper.

The rest of the gang trickled in. Russ and Billy of course remain out of town, but Amanda was there and of course it’s always a joy to see her. Morgan came with the new beau, Andrew. He’s a nice enough guy, and doesn’t seem to get cagey around gay people, which is all I really require of straight guys. We visited for a while and had cocktails before moving on to supper. There were salmon burgers (regular burgers for the carnivores) with all the fixins, oven-fried potatoes, grilled eggplant, and a butterscotch pudding/pie for dessert.

We ate on the deck and visited and talked while James magically whisked the dishes away. We moved inside for a while. There was some movie about people trapped in hell, and I pulled out the movies I had brought, but Amanda was the one that looked after me and got the channel changed. Eventually True Blood came on. They watch it every week, but I usually leave when it comes on. Apparently the season finale is next week, and they’re wondering what to watch next, but honestly I would just prefer not to have the TV on and visit. Of course it’s not my party, and most of them don’t spend as much time alone with only the TV for companionship as I do.

It was a great evening, as always, and we all enjoyed each other’s company. I took advantage of being able to stay late too – I stayed really late.

No comments: