Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A post in which I am late getting home

I called the doctor's office first thing this morning. My appointment for the biopsy results is tomorrow.

I talked to Eve today about going to dinner with her and my dad. Dad had called on my birthday to ask me when I would go out with them, and I wanted to get it in this week because she goes in for her surgery next Monday. We set that up for tomorrow evening.

I called and talked to Lisa today. She had told me that she was going to call and talk to Cindy about Eve's surgery next week. She had. Apparently Cindy doesn't plan on calling or contacting Eve. She seemed to be downplaying the seriousness of this operation. You do have to sometimes take things with a grain of salt where she is concerned, but we both wanted her to understand that this is real. Either Cindy is in denial or she just plain doesn't care. Lisa and I have both been through it with Dad. He is a difficult man to love at times. But neither of us could allow him to have a serious operation like this and not even call him. I just can't wrap my mind around they way she's acting. It makes me sad. The smallest gesture from her would mean much more to Eve than anything Lisa or I could do.

When I got off work tonight there was a horrible traffic jam on the highway. The road I work on is so busy that the slightest problem jams traffic on all the surrounding roads for miles. There was just no way home. When I saw how bad things were, I went back to the office and read for an hour before I even tried to leave. Things were still backed up, but were moving better than they had been.

My desire to be home was at war with starvation. I had taken a diet lunch today, and by 6:30 I was ravenous. I was really craving a baked potato in the worst way. I ended up succumbing and going to Ruby Tuesday to pay $15 for a salad and potato. Highway robbery (even if they do make their own gorgeous pumpernickel croutons), but sometimes you just give in.

When I got home I called Miss Kat and made sure she and dana had received my thank you text for the nice homecoming they arranged for me on Monday. They had, but I thanked them again anyway. I love them so much, and I miss them. I talked to her about possibly visiting Friday evening. She's trying to find out what her schedule looks like. I'm back in Columbia this weekend for Ava's Pink Princess birthday party. I'm going to stay the night with Mom. At this point I'm ready for a weekend at home, but that will have to wait.

Amanda's housewarming party is this Sunday, and I hope I can make it back in time. Jeff and James have been helping her decorate and prepare to settle in. I think they're more excited about her moving out than she is. They've also kindly offered me a ride to the party.

I turned on telly, and as usual when I really need distracting, there is nothing on. I eventually turned it over to America's Funniest Home Videos, which I am trying to use sparingly and only in times of greatest need. I can feel my IQ dropping as I watch it. I played on the computer, watched TV, and tried not to think about the doctor's appointment tomorrow until it was time to turn in, at which point I took sleeping pills. I haven't been sleeping well this week anyway, and I figured I would need them. I was right.

No comments: