Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A post in which I want to be outside

It was one of those awful mornings this morning. I didn’t feel bad, I just woke up with the consciousness of being a rat in the rat race. My mind was a miasma of depressing ponderables: What is the point? Why am I here? Why am I pouring the (dwindling) juice of my youth down the insatiable gullet of a soulless corporation that doesn’t appreciate or care? Why do we waste our youth working, and then retire when we're too old and sick to enjoy life? Ugh. I hate those mornings. I got ready, got in the car, and joined the other rats on the way in for another day at the maze.

Today’s challenge at work was the continuing saga of trying to get my sign-on to work. Since my Canadian counterpart is leaving, my boss is trying to get me access to the Canadian account system. I actually was able to sign in to half of it today (since we have been mid-transition straddling two systems for several years). The other half is still a no-go. I don’t know if our system is hacker-proof or not, but through the labyrinthine multi-password system they have certainly succeeded in making it employee-proof. I’m starting to panic about all the new work at this point. The days before Dayna leaves are drifting away. Friday is her last day. And I haven’t received system access yet, not to mention a scrap of training. It’s gonna be hell.

When I left work, I went by to get a new battery put in my little clock. I got it at the beach several years ago and it had stopped working. I went to the Batteries Plus store in a trepidatious mindset. Usually this kind of thing turns into a ridiculously convoluted Quest for me. But no! The helpful and courteous clerk took my clock, said “That’ll be just a moment.” and just changed the battery! There was no “I’m sorry sir, we don’t have that size.” or “I’m sorry sir, this is a Guatemalan clock, and you’ll have to send it to Guatemala.” I thanked him profusely and left. The whole thing took about five minutes, and cost me three bucks. I left in a quite unreasonably jubilant mood. When I got home, I found that he had even set it for me.

It was an absolutely gorgeous fall afternoon; the kind of weather that makes you want to be outside. I couldn’t help but think how lovely it would be to sit with Kimbley and Laura on their fabulous deck and have a cocktail and a smoke. Sadly, though, Laura didn’t answer her phone. I left a message.

When I got home I opened all the windows and put a load of laundry in – I’m woefully behind. Then I ate some supper. I didn’t hear from Laura, but that was OK.

Tonight I watched my first episode of Glee. It was good, and I can understand what all the hoopla is about, although it was pretty high in teenage drama for me. Still, I’ll probably watch it. I’m wondering if I can finagle it into a weekly thing that I can do with Russ and Billy. Their weekends are so full that I would see more of them if I saw them during the week.

After that I fooled around on the computer a bit before turning in. My three-times-rescheduled meeting to go over Canada stuff is tomorrow. I need to be fresh for it.

No comments: