Sunday, September 26, 2010

A post in which it is a full, busy, and very pleasant Sunday

I woke up (eventually) to drippy rain today. I was disappointed, because usually when the barometric pressure rises, Russ gets a headache and doesn’t feel like doing anything. He had asked for a wake-up call this morning though, and just as I was preparing myself to make a disappointing call he sent me a text telling me to come over! I was very glad to get it. When I got there, Billy was up too, and going with us. Usually he doesn’t get up to go to the flea market, so it was a double treat.

But Billy and I were hungry. After discussion we decided to go to Denny’s. They have a build-your-own omelet special going on that sounded tasty to me. The omelets were good, but the price they give you on the commercial is for just a cheese omelet with nothing else. As you add ingredients, the price goes up. Our service was pretty slow, but she was nice to us so we didn’t mind so much.

Thus fortified, we headed out to the Barnyard flea market. I usually score here, and haven’t been in a while, so I was particularly keen to go today. It was still raining, and the bottom fell out just as we got there, but Barnyard is covered so it’s the market of choice in the rain. There were plenty of people there. We took our time and had a leisurely stroll through. I found a great deal on some glass too!

I bought three luncheon plates in my pattern for $5 each, two saucers for $3 each, and a Cameo handled plate for only $8! I knew all of these were good prices, and scooped them right up. Later on, I found a couple of small bakers in the Sapphire Blue Fire King kitchenware I collect also, for only $1 each. There were no lids, but for that price I couldn’t leave them.

Cameo 10 1/2" handled plate in green by Anchor Hocking, circa 1930 - 1934

By the time we did all that and I bought produce, we were quite surprised to find it was 2pm!

We had dinner scheduled tonight in Spartanburg. James and Jeff are out of town, but Amanda is going to be at the house. I went home for a quick lie-down and a brush-up before returning to Russ and Billy’s house to head out.

Amanda and Morgan were on the porch when we got there (it was still raining), and we visited for a bit before Andrew showed up. We all went out to Cici’s Pizza for supper, which was quite adequate to the purpose, and where I ate several pounds of cinnamon buns. Man I love those things. They're like warm soft pillows of sweet cinnamon cushlin-y love.

After supper, though, Morgan and Andrew took off. We went back to the house and watched a couple of old re-runs of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which Russ, Billy, and Amanda seemed to enjoy re-watching (I of course was clueless).

But before you knew it, it was time to go home. I’ve had such a lovely weekend. I hadn’t had a full Russ and Billy day in far too long. It’s hard to think about going to work tomorrow. Its Dayna’s (my Canadian counter-part) last week of notice, so I have not only my regular things, but her things to learn as well. Sigh. But I have that pesky food and shelter addiction.

No comments: