Thursday, September 16, 2010

A post in which I find that I am cancer free!

And thank God for that!!

I had been doing a pretty good job of maintaining my denial, I thought, until today. Of course I still haven’t slept for the last couple of nights. I woke up this morning hurting too. But I was hoping it would be all over today. The appointment was at 11:30, and I showed up a little early. They then of course stuck me in a consulting room and left me there for a half hour, surrounded by hundreds of pamphlets about the myriad of things that can be wrong with your crotch. After resisting for a while, eventually I picked up a brochure on prostatectomy. It’s a serious operation – you can’t drive for two weeks! By the time the doctor finally came in, I had pretty much worked myself into a tizz. The first thing he said was “No cancer. Let’s just get that out of the way up front.” I was so relieved that I forgot everything I had planned to say. I really wasn’t as gracious with him as I would have liked to have been during the biopsy. He was really nice and I was, shall we say, not at my best. But the annoyance was washed away with relief, and the relief pretty much washed everything else out with it. I should send a card or something. My biopsy was almost perfect. There was one biopsy of the twelve they took that was slightly irregular. Because of that, and because of the family history, they’re going to do follow-up tests in six months (just an exam and drawing blood, not another biopsy). I can handle that. He told me there was nothing to be concerned about in the meantime.

So I got back to the office and sent out the critter call that everything was OK. I got a lot of nice texts from my friends. Russ’s of course said “Told you so!” He is so funny. He had indeed decided that I was fine when all this started, and I should have known that the laws of nature wouldn't dare contravene Russ. I heard back from Miss Kat with a confirmation of a visit tomorrow night too. I am so looking forward to seeing them – I miss them.

I called Mama, and she sounds awful. She’s been in the bed sick for the last two days, and Mom is one of those people who goes to work dead. If she called in after being out on vacation she must feel really terrible. So now I’m worried that I’m going to get that crap. We didn’t eat after each other as much as usual this past week though, so hopefully it will be OK. I’ll know in a couple of days I guess.

Tonight was my birthday dinner with Dad and Eve. Eve called me this morning to tell me that she had made reservations at The Open Hearth. She apparently wanted to go there, and it is a pretty swank place. She raved about how good the seafood was, so I ordered the oysters. They were a bit overdone, and a bit strong, but everything else was great and it takes a lot to put me off oysters. Our waiter was cute as a bug, too. The salad was good, the dressings were all made there, as was the bread (wonderful), and the coconut cream pie we had for dessert (transcendental). The baked potatoes come with something they call a ‘potato wheel’ which is big bowls of sour cream, butter, real bacon bits, and cheese; that idea is just as fabulous as it sounds. So basically we ate until we couldn’t move – literally.

Dad is still having motility issues from his surgery. I could tell because he asked if I would drive tonight. By the time we were through eating one of his legs had gone to sleep, and he was hurting. He’s been at the shop more this week than in the past several, plus he’s having problems with some of his Guardian ad Litem kids, so it’s been a very active week for him. I pulled the car up to the door to get him when he eventually made it outside. Eve’s knees were apparently giving her problems, and she had difficulty getting up too. It is sad to watch your parents falling apart like this. Hopefully Dad is on the mend, but Eve’s surgery is on Monday, and I don’t know if Dad’s going to be up to it or not. He sounded very resigned to taking care of her when we talked about it over dinner, but that’s not really what you want to hear if you’re the patient. I felt kind of sorry for Eve, although she was pretty good about it. We went back to the house and visited for a little bit, but Dad was tired and I didn’t stay for long. I was tired too.

Apparently I had to get back to the house to not sleep. I lay in bed for an hour and a half, paying the price for my gluttony – I was too stuffed to sleep! I have plenty of fodder for future eating too. Eve got me two boxes of chocolate covered macadamia nuts for my birthday. I love those! I also carried home the remains of that divoon pie she didn’t finish tonight – I’m not proud. I have birthday cookies in the freezer from one of my agencies that they send every year (they are wonderful). Plus I have a somewhat eaten pack of Oreos that Miss Kat and dana gave me. So treats just abound at the mo. I guess after all that’s done I’ll live on bread and water for a while…

Eventually I dropped off.

No comments: