Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A post in which a bomb is dropped

I woke up this morning after 9.5 hours of solid sleep – almost as tired as when I went to bed. I really, really hate this damn Epstein-Barr.

The bomb dropped at work today. The person who holds my position in Canada has resigned. Thank goodness she’s working a notice. I will be inheriting the accounts she manages, which is no big deal. I will also, however, be inheriting some of the insane amounts of reporting she does for her manager, who now lives here. That means I’ll be reporting directly to her for some things. And she is an incredibly demanding and difficult woman to deal with.

Not looking forward to this. My boss called me into his office to give me the official word today. When I asked about extra money to go along with the extra work, he laughed. So at this point, I’m waiting to see how bad it gets. My boss did tell me that I’m not getting all of her work load, and that the reserve report (which he has already told me I’ll inherit) will be ‘re-vamped’. I’m not working 12-15 hour days like her old assistant did. She is also known to schedule meetings at 7pm at night and stuff. Not doing that either. But I’m waiting to see how crazy it is before I start planting flags.

I talked to Dad on the phone on the way home from work. He had Eve at the shop for a while today, so I guess she’s doing OK. He said they didn’t need anything.

I have really been missing Russ and Billy time. We’ve both been out of town so much lately that we just haven’t seen that much of each other. I’ve missed them. Tonight we had planned to go out for the cancer-free celebration dinner. It seems more seemly now that Eve’s surgery is over, and unsubstantiated hot n juicy rumor is that she won’t have to have radiation or chemotherapy.

I fooled around for a while at a new Family Dollar while I waited for Billy to get home from work, then went in and hung out with him while we waited for Russ to get home. We were watching Sunset Boulevard on TCM and having a great time lampooning it when Russ came in. I truly love that movie – I don’t ever seem to tire of watching Gloria Swanson’s tour-de-force turn as Norma Desmond. She’s so over-the-top and so believable at the same time – riveting.

We went to Miyako for dinner of course. We had our favorite waitress too, who noted how long it had been since we were in. She is so great for us because she seems to have endless patience for Russ’s kama sutra sushi-ordering technique. She gets him exactly what he wants too, which is frankly amazing. Plus she’s just nice.

We talked over supper about how I never seem to meet anyone new. I know this is my fault because I never go anywhere to meet anyone new. Russ and Billy are going to the takeover upstate event Friday night, and want me to go with them. We’ll see. I’ve been hurting this week. They’re going to the big Halloween party we went to last year again, and said they would take me with them for that. They also want me to at least get a day pass to the camp out this fall that the new group is hosting. So I have a lot to think about.

When we finished supper and went back to their place, Russ and I spent a little time on the smoking porch. It was so nice. I really miss hanging out with them. Hopefully things will work out where I can hang out more with them. Tonight I had to keep an eye on the clock. I can’t believe there are two more days in this week – it feels about a month long!

No comments: