Sunday, September 19, 2010

A post in which I go to Amanda's house warming

When I woke up this morning, I again felt like crap, but I had no coughing and no chest congestion, which means that I’m not getting what Mom had, although I won’t know for sure until the middle of next week. It is a nasty bug, which an apparent 8 to 9 day incubation period.

I was pretty sure that I remembered this feeling though – it’s that ^%$%$##@!!! Epstein-Barr acting up. I took some Ibuprofen and waited to feel a bit better before I went to the flea market for fruit. The NC apple people were back, and I scored another bag of Mutsus for this week. I walked around a bit, but by the time I got back to the car my head was hurting and I felt very tired.

It was almost all I could do to get back to the house, get my things in, and make it to the couch. After a little snooze, though, I felt better, and stirred around the house a bit. I made some very simple lunches (just broccoli and brown rice) for the week, and put some potatoes in to bake for suppers. I changed the sheet and did a couple of loads of laundry before lying down for a bit.

I was determined to go to Amanda’s house warming party tonight. She was so excited about everyone coming to her new place, and she’s such a sweet girl, plus I have missed seeing the gang. Russ and Billy were coming back from Columbia in time to go as well. Plus I feel like I just wasted the day yesterday and I really wanted to have a bit of fun before the week started.

I talked to James and he told me to meet them at their place at about 5:30, which left me plenty of time to finish up in the kitchen, clean up, and rest for a bit before I left the house. I made it there about 5:30 on the dot. Jeff and James were at a baptism, so I let myself in, let the dogs out, and relaxed a bit while I waited for everyone. Jeff and James work on their house all the time. It makes me feel bad about my place, where I basically do nothing. They have a gorgeous new deck set, and have been doing landscaping around the front of the house with slate. It looks really nice.

When everyone got there we set off for Amanda’s house. James rode with me to be sure I didn’t get lost. I didn’t really realize how far out she lived until we drove there. It was close to the NC border.

We met her roommates (who seemed very nice if a bit on the quiet side) and all visited while we checked out the new place. It’s very cozy and homey. Her roommates have some old furniture too, and their things combined with the pieces she got from Justin quite well. The fat cat picture I gave her for her birthday was in pride of place in the living room. We hung out and had cocktails and nibbles while supper cooked – delicious lasagna, salad, garlic bread, and a chocolate éclair pie for dessert. It was all delicious, and we ate so much supper we had to wait a while before dessert.

I was having a great time and hated to even think about going, but I knew I would pay for it in the morning. I said my goodnights and headed out. When I got into the car and turned on the GPS, I was quite surprised to see that I was almost an hour from the house. It was already 10:30 too; but there was nothing for it but to head on out. I had a lovely time, but I am dreading the morning!

No comments: