Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A post in which I am a better boy

I worked my bippy off today, trying to get all the monthly reports done. I am pretty much finished at this point, except for the things I can’t do until my boss gets me his stuff. That is usually the hold-up now. He was out of town last week, so he’s more backed up than usual. Also the Big Wigs are in town for quarter end, and he will apparently be splitting his time between the office and the meeting downtown. I kept waiting for him to leave yesterday, but he never did.

I am so enjoying my new book, Sold! by Nan & Ivan Lyons. Ordinarily I would think I had found a new author (or author team, to be precise), but they apparently only wrote three books, and these in the late 70's. Probably about as much as a husband and wife team could endure writing together. Still, it’s a ripping read. A spunky country auctioneer is running her father’s auction house in the middle of nowhere when she gets the estate contract on a small estate. She finds 96 original Faberge pieces, lost after the revolution, under some books in an old trunk. Awesome. I just want to be her.

I worked out tonight. I figured it was about time since I didn’t go at all last week. There was a new face up there, a guy who started with the company as an adorable frat boy a couple of years ago, but has put on considerable weight since. Small wonder - there is free vendorchow all over this office all the time for the salespeople. They bring in breakfast pastries, candy, treats, afternoon snacks, and occasionally free lunch. That's not even to mention the ubiquitous Office Birthday Cake (which has become the bane of my existence); there's one about every day in an office as large as ours. When I first started in the industry, I gained 5 pounds every year for the first 6 years. (You do the math, if you're a bitch.) So he’s growing up and realizing that the Adonis figure doesn’t come as easily in your 30s as it did in your 20s. He smells good anyway (he was working out right beside me, and wears cologne). Of course these are just casual observations. He's totally straight, and as the air of a spoiled child. I'd be willing to bet he's the youngest of his family. I noticed him initially because he was cute (he has curly dark hair and a little cupid's bow of a mouth), but he walks around the office scowling a lot now.

When I got home I decided to go ahead and do my scallion pie tonight. It turned out great, I have to say. I tasted the filling because I made too much (as usual) and baked it in one of my little vintage Fire King Sapphire Blue bakers. They are the perfect size for that kind of thing. I sauteed a large onion with butter, soy sauce, and dry Vermouth, browning it before throwing in the chopped scallions. I threw in part of a zucchini that I found in the back of the fridge as well. I used cottage cheese (worked smooth with my stick blender) in place of the sour cream I usually use after figuring out in the grocery store that it has about half the calories. The pie was just as good; extra cheesy, in fact.

My Scallion Pie

Tonight TCM was airing Easy to Love with Esther Williams, Van Johnson, and Tony Martin. I love watching Esther Williams’s movies and seeing the plot contrivances they use to get her in the water; and of course Van Johnson is a legendary closet case, so I enjoy watching him act like he’s lusting for women. I also love how in the 50’s movies they underline how gorgeous their screen goddesses were by having guys fall over and stuff when they walk by. They did a lot of that in this one. Easy was the cheesiest yet. The finale was more ridiculous than anything seen in Footlight Parade, and the numbers in that one are pretty out there. The premise here was water shows for Florida tourists. They did do shows like that, but I don’t think many of them involved a woman diving from a helicopter-suspended bar into the ocean. Yeah it was pretty over the top, but I guess that was the point. It was interesting to see Florida tourism during the heyday (the movie was released in 1953). That would have been when my mom’s parents were living there. They were a really cool couple to be recent ex-hillbillies.

No comments: