Friday, October 30, 2009

A post in which is is almost Halloween part II

It was a very long day today. Everyone was excited about Halloween tomorrow. There was candy left from the kids last night and I ate a little. I was really ready to go though. Wearing my kilt to work was novel, but didn’t make the day go a bit faster.

As soon as possible, I headed for Russ’s to get my hair cut. I am behind a week because I wasn’t getting the reminder notices. We finally got that worked out this week. An old acquaintance, Cliff, was there getting his hair cut as well. He looked good, but is having some health issues. He’s a small businessman and isn’t able to afford health insurance, so he’s concerned.

Russ's new skill, which he has just learned, is nose-hair waxing. Apparently the FDA would not allow this previously, but has changed the rules. Freshly certified, Russ was looking for a guinea pig to practice on. No points for guessing who got volunteered, against my objections. I've had my neck waxed twice, and twice was quite enough, my not being a natural soprano. Nasal waxing involves shoving a cool (thank goodness) wax-coated stick up your nose, and then yanking it out. This is about as pleasant as it sounds. The worst part is that he put them both in at once, so when he finished yanking the first one out, I knew there was still another one to go. It was OK once the bleeding stopped. I did have the hairless nostrils of a 15-year-old girl when he was finished. That has never been a particular goal of mine, but gather ye rosebuds while ye may, I guess.

After I got my hair cut, I called Billy to see what he wanted for supper and we ended up going out for sushi. Yay! We went to a place near their house. I haven’t eaten there for a while, but it’s a Miyako, the same restaurant that I eat sushi at with Justin in Spartanburg. I didn’t realize there was one here. I’ll be back. I still have a whole costume to make tomorrow, but I just wanted a break tonight. It's been a long week this week, and I've been very busy.

While we were there though, there was a really noise group of girls out in costume for a birthday party. We were seated by the bar, and they kind of filled up the room after they ate, talking very loudly. One of them stood practically at our table, and had a very loud conversation on the phone. R&B said there was a very loud party the last time they were there. Odd how those things work.

After supper, Russ was revved up for some shopping, so we went over to one of the Halloween stores to have a look round. They had some really neat stuff even now. There was one animatronic figurine of a demonic little girl that really kind of freaked me out. They had way too much clown stuff too – and it wasn’t all in one place. It was scattered all around the store, where I kept coming across little pockets of it.

We had a good time looking at all the stuff, and bought some small stuff for tomorrow night. Russ is dying to know what I’m doing for my costume, and I’m not telling him out of sheer perverseness. It’s not an attractive trait, I know, but he can just never wait to be surprised. I’m going to wait and let him get the full effect all at once.

After the store, we went back to their place and hung out for a while on the porch. I just love sitting and talking to Russ on the porch. It is really one of my favorite things in life.

No comments: