Friday, October 23, 2009

A post in which I have a lot to do

I was headed to Wilkesboro tonight, so I got up early and got to work. I got ready for work, finished packing, loaded the car, saw to the cats, and headed to the office. Since the light hadn’t gone on the rest of the way home last night, I was almost convinced not to take the car in, but I wanted to see how it did this morning, and give myself time to go to the dealership if I needed to. I ran it pretty hard this morning, but the Bomber didn’t protest. I decided not to take it in, and called the dealership. That simplified my day considerably.

It was pretty quiet again today. Bless out of town meetings.

As soon as work was over, I slid down the dinosaur tail into the car and headed for North Carolina just as fast as my little blue car would carry me. Fortunately the Bomber ran like a top all the way, and no lights came on that shouldn’t have been on. I got to Statesville in time to meet Mother and have dinner with her at the K&W before we went on up the mountain. Dinner on Friday night has become kind of a tradition for us when we go to Granny’s together. We can catch up on things we can’t talk about in front of Granny. She’s pretty hip for 91, but there are just some things that would upset her unnecessarily.


I’m listening to Lady Chatterley’s Lover on CD. It’s fairly scandalous already, and I can see how it would have been banned when it was finished in 1927. Her Ladyship was taking a physical inventory of her naked body in the looking-glass when I pulled up in front of Granny’s house. Hmmm. That was odd.

We got up there about 9:30, plenty of time for a visit with Granny. She has insomnia too, and usually sits up until late. By 1am, though, I was toast. I’ve been up since 5:30 this morning. I took a pill and collapsed in the bed.

No comments: