Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A post in which I am very busy*

I had a visit from my morning buddy today, which I enjoyed far more than I expected to given my current state of mind. I'm conflicted about him. On the one hand, I'm spinning my wheels there; it's never going to amount to anything. On the other hand, he's really hot.

Fortunately, I suppose, I didn't have much time for brooding today. I was very busy dealing with irate customers, and trying to complete the now 18 additional write-offs my boss has assigned for this month. I actually got all the big ones done and signed, with the exception of one that went to Canada. I'm sure that will be an uphill battle, as always, but I got a lot done today. I was called Racist Pig by a client today because I didn't give him what he wanted. I've been called a racist before, but this was the first time the porcine qualifier has been added, which was a novelty.

My phone rang at 5:30pm today. My counterpart in Canada was calling to say hi. The weekly meeting tomorrow has been scheduled hella early (as they have through the end of the year - *sigh*), and she was calling to commiserate. She did get her stuff in for this week today, same day turn-around (which was a miracle in itself) and for which I heaped praise and blessings upon both herself and her ancestors. After that we visited and caught up for a while. Having a good relationship with her makes my job easier in several ways and is well worth the investment of time; plus I like her.

I finally got out of the office to discover that Pelham Hell was backed up in both directions. Someone must have had an accident on the highway. Pelham Road is handling about three times the traffic it was designed for already, so if anything goes wrong, it backs up immediately, as does every road within a 4-mile radius. So I sat for 30minutes for the three miles it took to get over to Woodruff Road. I would have stopped and just eaten supper, but I had finished my book at lunch today. Eating by myself in a restaurant without a book depresses me - even if I haven't just talked to the man who broke my heart the day before. I stopped off at the Goodwill, once I got that far, and picked up a book for a buck (a copy of Tom Brokaw's The Greatest Generation, which I have been meaning to read anyway). I decided after sitting in traffic all that time I would have supper before I went home. Tomorrow night M is supposed to come and get the last of his stuff, and I don't figure I'll feel like going anywhere after he leaves. Thursday night I'll be packing and getting ready to go to North Carolina, and I'm leaving directly from work on Friday; so if I was going out to eat, tonight would be the night to do it.

Since I was up on Woodruff Road anyway, I decided to eat some Chinese buffet. I've eaten so much Mexican food lately that I'm burned out on it - even nachos, amazingly. I usually go to Ni Hao, which I love, but there is a huge new one over in the old Ryan's building near Wal-Mart. Russ and Billy had already been and told me not to bother, but I was curious. The food that wasn't mediocre was nasty. I was very disappointed. It was OK, and I did eat, but I won't go again.

When I got home I put in a load of jeans so I could was the new Magic Jeans. I may not wear them this weekend, but I'd like to have the option. I have Justin's pumpkin carving party on Sunday.

I didn't feel great today, so I went on to bed early. I'm supposed to go to Granny's house this weekend, and since the office has been pestilence-ridden for the last two weeks I want to be sure that if anything's starting I throw it off. I don't want to miss the trip, or worse, take something up to Granny.

No comments: