Monday, October 12, 2009

A post in which I read

I got out onto the porch with my coffee this morning just in time to hear the rain start. Again. At least it was pretty for the flea market yesterday. But it has rained a lot in the last couple of weeks; it's really starting to get to me. I reminded myself that we need the water, and it's a blessing, but more than half of my mind is saying "enough already with the water!"

I was just bone-idle today. I did what had to be done, but I had to mentally kick myself all day to get anything accomplished. After work, I decided not to work out, but when I got home I virtuously ate the last of the salad that needed eating. I am not getting any more salad stuff for a while. I am heartily sick of it.

Although I have been reading largely forgettable books, I still think it's better than watching the unmitigated garbage on TV right now. There hasn't been anything on TCM I have wanted to see. Since Fox has taken off the Family Guy marathon on Monday and Tuesday nights, there is little on that appeals to me; but that's why I was so determined to get to the library last week. Since I've been watching TV with the computer on, it's good to take a break from facebook and online games as well.

I finished up my latest Charlaine Harris book, Grave Surprise, tonight. It was pretty good. I really love the main character, Harper Connelly. The premise is that she was struck by lightning as a child, which allows her limited communication with the dead. She can find bodies, and accurately ascertain they cause of death. Needless to say, this opens up many possible adventures. It's interesting to me that Harper, like Sookie Stackhouse (Harris's more famous protagonist), has a philandering brother. It would be interesting to meet the guy who inspired that character.

Since I was almost done, I stayed up to finish Surprise. As I have found in several of her earlier books, it came to a somewhat unsatisfying conclusion after a good read. Wrapping up books and leaving a tempting story line going for the series is something she has definitely gotten better at. When I started reading the Aurora Teagarden series of hers, I almost quit. I barely even understand the conclusion of the first book. But her endings have gotten better in that series, as they have in this one. Her main characters are very compelling; you want to root for them. She writes a good story too.

No comments: