Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A post in which I have dinner with Dick and Eve

Dad and I had been trying to get our schedules to mesh up, so when Even called today to invite me to dinner I was happy to accept. I've also been dying to get to Della Ventura for some of that pink sauce ever since the birthday party for David. Since Eve really loves that place too, we out-voted Dad. We had an excellent meal. The pink sauce wasn't quite as perfect as I remembered it, but it was still damn good.

I needed to talk to him anyway, because I've been trying to help Ms Shay in Atlanta find a car. She totaled hers a couple of weeks ago. Dad told me that his buddies hadn't turned up anything, but that he would ask again. He also told me he'd be willing to sell her his Town Car, but it's too expensive for her. It's a great car, and I'd love to have it. (I talked to her about it when I got home. She said she would think about if she could make that happen or not, money-wise.) I've kind of coveted that car since Dad bought it, but the mileage on it is not so great, obviously, but better than I thought.

After a lovely meal, we adjourned to the house to visit, plus Dad wanted to give me the glass he's been buying on line. It's kind of a hobby he's picked up lately.


Princess cookie jar with lid in green by Anchor Hocking, circa 1931-1935

Florentine #1 issue or "Poppy" creamer in green by Hazel-Atlas, circa 1932-1935

He had gotten me a Princess cookie jar, and a cream and sugar that matches my set (I have a matching set of Florentine with service for 6). He had also bought a 6" sherbert liner. He's bidding on some more of them, but they are hard to get. Apparently a lot of them were broken. They're selling for more than the dinner plates right now.

We spent a lot of time this evening talking about glass, which was certainly amenable to me. I got my book from the car and they looked through it. I talked about various pieces I have and the stories of acquiring them. They asked me questions about the glass and seemed to be genuinely interested. I told Dad about a couple of pieces I'd like to have if he wants to keep bidding, which he seems to want to do. I am dying for a set of Fire King Sapphire Blue coffee mugs like the one Justin found at a thrift shop (for a buck, for crying out loud!) recently, but they are hella expensive right now.

I had been kind of wondering what brought all this on, and Dad told me that he had spent a lot of money on Cindy when Brenden was born, and he had done the same for Lisa with Cole and Ava. He said since I wasn't going to have any children, he was trying to even the score a bit. I thought that was very nice, but reminded him he did a lot for me when I bought my house, and that I hadn't ever felt slighted by him. So I kind of left it there. If I'm in good graces and he wants to do this, he can certainly afford it. I'm not going to protest. I think he really has been bitten by the bug in a way. He's gotten caught up on finding pieces on eBay and bidding on them. He loves an auction, something I have gotten from him.

So we spent a very pleasant evening. It didn't feel like work tonight to spend some time with him. And if that was purposeful on his part, it's all the more touching. Dad and I haven't always gotten along. He can be a hard man to love. But he's trying, and meeting me more than halfway at the mo. It's nice.

No comments: