Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A post in which I get an invitation

I woke to the sound of rain. I drank my coffee on the porch and watched the rain. I drove to work in the rain. I am heartily sick of rain, blessing or not.

I didn’t go to the gym tonight because I had to go to the library. Yeah, I know. Apparently the most threadbare of excuses will do. So I went and picked up the book they had on hold for me, and browsed the movies while I was there. Since there’s been crap on TCM lately I got a couple of old movies from the DVD section. I passed up The Letter, regretfully. Although I love Bette I’ve seen that one a couple of times, and I’m trying to broaden my repertoire.

I went home and virtuously ate dibs and dabs out of the fridge for supper. For some reason for the last week, all I’ve wanted to do is eat and sleep. Apparently I am preparing for hibernation or something. Last night was no exception. I ate a perfectly adequate dinner, and then had to have more to eat before I went to bed. No idea what’s going on there. My idea was that if I exercised less my appetite would decline accordingly, but that theory doesn’t seem to be working out.

The movie I watched tonight was called Black Widow. Ginger Rogers was cast against type as a bitch, and played it to the hilt. After all that time playing Fred Astaire’s dance partner, it seemed that she relished having some lines. And she had some lu-lus:
GR to party guest: I must be frank with you and tell you that your husband is the worst theater critic in New York.
Party Guest: But my husband is no critic.
GR: How perfectly sweet of you to agree with me!
PG: No, you don't understand. You've mistaken me for someone else. My husband is a banker.
GR: A banker?? Then why are you wearing that horrendous hat?!
While watching, I was fooling around online some. I chatted with a nice guy from Manhunt. I think he was too hip for me, but he was nice. I also talked to a guy on Bear411 with whom I have conversed previously. He's a nice guy, smart, and funny. But he's a closet case, and I'm not really that attracted to him - typically for me. A perfectly nice guy, and I'm not interested. I apparently want someone to treat me like dirt. But I digress.

He has an extra ticket to go see Kathy Griffin tomorrow at the Peace Center, so I'm going with him. I'm not a huge Kathy Griffin fan, actually, but I really respect the work she did against Prop 8 in California. She was actually out there knocking on doors for the cause. I think we're more than an audience for Kathy. I respect that. I have been interested to meet the guy, but I didn't want to lead him on, so this is a good no-pressure way to meet him and see if there's any kind of spark. I wish there would be. But if there isn't he's promised not to molest, and I'll get to go to the Peace Center, so it's kind of a win-win.

No comments: