Sunday, October 4, 2009

A post in which I get an unexpected surprise at the flea market

Despite taking a pill, I was up early this morning. But that just happens to me sometimes. I sleep poorly away from home these days. Its an old man thing I guess. I got up and messed about on the computer for a while. I went back to lay down and read for a bit, but no dice. I finished the condensed book I pulled off their shelf last night. I forgot my excellent book I'm reading at the mo.

Clayton got up and we had coffee, but no Lee. I hated to wake him up, but I really wanted to go to the flea market today. I love having a different market to go to, and I haven't been able to go to any flea market for the last couple of weeks because of rain, the trip to Atlanta, etc. So I was keen to go. I sent Clayton to get Lee up, which he was a really good sport about. We got ready in short order and headed for the Barnyard in Pineville. I love that market, and scored almost immediately the last time we went, but I had used up all my glass luck yesterday apparently. I saw hardly any glass today.

As we were getting ready to leave, however, we passed a produce booth and I noticed some really beautiful scallions. I pointed them out to Lee, because he had told me earlier that the ones he found in the store lately were distinctly sub-par. Looking over the booth though, I also saw they had white sweet potatoes! Mmmmmm. They're really hard to find, even in North Carolina where they're grown, and you very rarely see them even in SC. They don't keep well, and most people don't know what they are, so they're kind of a local thing. They're unusual enough that I couldn't even find a link to post about them online. Apparently they are an Egyptian cultivar, interestingly. So I bought some and had a little chat with the woman selling them, who was happy to chat with another aficionado. I decided to get some of the petty scallions while I was buying. I'll make a scallion pie, since it will be the last one I'll be able to make until next spring. I got some potatoes for a woman I work with who also loves them, and I'll bake some to eat next week. You can freeze them once you bake and mash them, so I'll freeze some to use at either Christmas or Thanksgiving this year.

By the time we left, we were ready for some brunch. Lee hadn't eaten any breakfast, but then he doesn't usually eat any lunch. Lee eats rarely. There was a German place nearby called Waldhorn Restaurant that they like though, and I was up for it, so we hit the smorgasbord. The food was excellent, although I was a bit disappointed in the spatzle. They had gone to the trouble to make homemade, but hadn't fried it afterwards with butter and parsley, which makes it much better. The pasta dishes were very good though, and they had a seafood dish that was absolutely heavenly. White fish, salmon, shrimp, and tiny scallops cooked in a gorgeous white sauce redolent of hearty white wine, served over a medley of perfectly cooked brown, white, and wild rice. It was about as German as I am (maybe less), but it was so good I really didn't care in the slightest. I ate enough food for at least three people.

When we got back to the house, I crashed for a nap while Lee finished up some CDs I had asked him to burn for me. His taste in music is so much more hip than mine, and I love that eurodisco stuff when I'm in the right mood. I'm also looking for new dungeon music for the camp out. I'm going to do a mix for Russ.

Since I had used sleeping pills last night, I was in heavy REM sleep this afternoon. I dreamed that I had taken over an old aquacade in Florida and turned it into a very lush drag supper club, with tons of plush red carpet, brocade drapes, etc. I had just been interviewed for Southern Living when I woke up. And panicked because it was quarter to 5!

I woke up a bit, and gathered my things as fast as I politely could. Lee and Clayton understood. I bid a hasty goodbye to my hosts and hit the road. I made excellent time on the way back, and listened to one of my new CDs, finding two great new dungeon songs.

I got home and just unpacked. I decided that was all I was doing tonight. I watched the Fox Sunday night lineup, catching the new Cleveland Show, the pilot of which was actually pretty vile. And I'm a rabid Seth MacFalane fan too. But man it really stunk. If they don't up the ante quickly, it won't last the season. Maybe he has plumbed the depths of his talent at this point. Then again, he has so much money now, it doesn't really matter. I just hope he won't get distracted and let Family Guy go off the rails.

I had time to be stood up by a Manhunt guy before bed.

No comments: