Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Quick Guacamole

I make this to rave reviews:

4-5 avocados, suitably ripe and soft. This is the hardest part. They should yield slightly to gentle pressure of your thumb. The skins should be pretty black for Hass Avocados (the smaller, wrinkly ones).

1/2 cup sour cream (I used reduced fat - you can't tell)
1-2 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise (for extra creamyness, always Duke's)
1-2 teaspoons lime juice (bottled will work, fresh is better)
1 cup salsa
good sprinkle of garlic powder
couple of dashes of tobasco

Mush it all up together and mix well. I leave some chunks in the avocado because I like to be able to really taste it.

For the full monty, add:

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro - this make a huge difference to the taste - dried won't work
I always use fresh lime for the full monty, because the oil from the skin isn't in the bottled stuff.
Chopped fresh green onions, to taste
Chopped black olives if you like.

For a variation, I put a bit of curry powder in this. It is lovely with all the creaminess, and adds a floral undernote. All measurements are approximate, I never measure for guacamole, just dump stuff in until it's enough.

Enjoy.

No comments: