Friday, March 21, 2008

The Hat Party is announced

I got my invitation to The Hat Party today. The Hat Party, for the uninitiated, is the party of the Spring for my social circle. My friends Dan'l and Jim have a gorgeous home (for which I periodically hate them) in Tigerville, with 6 acres of landscaped grounds. They have a large garden party each Spring, and we all make fancy hats and wear them. It is always a lovely time, and it is always good to see everyone.

There are winner and 1st and 2nd runners-up prizes given in each of three categories: funniest, most original, and most flawless. Since there are fags involved, competition is notably fierce, but in good fun. There is a theme each year, and part of the thing is how well you execute the theme. All the prizes are coveted, but none more so than "Most Flawless - Queen of Nine Planets, Before Whom All Must Bow Down". I have won several prizes through the years, but have never won Most Original. I'd like to win that one sometime, and then I'll just forget about competing and have fun. Yeah right. The prizes are awarded by the votes of the guests - everyone gets one vote in each category. So it's kind of a popularity contest as well. I will not so humbly share that I am the currently reigning Most Flawless, BWAMBD. You're not allowed to win that one two years running, so I'm going to try for Most Original again this year.

The theme this year is Tropical. For some reason I am struck by inspiration as soon as I open the invitation each year. A picture of a pretty much fully formed hat falls into my brain, and then I have to figure out how to make it. Bigger is better, and more is more, but there have been some notable mishaps when overly ambitious designs have fallen apart during the Parade of Hats. So I have my vision, and now just have to figure out how to make it. I immediately ordered supplies. I have another project I'm working on right now, so no construction can begin until next weekend is over, but this gives me some time to think about implementation. I won't be able to reveal the design until after the party (4-13-08) because designs are top secret. I know some couples who won't let each other see their hats until the day of the party.

Wish me luck!

No comments: