Thursday, March 20, 2008

Profoundly, Profoundly grateful to be home

After a bagel and a schmear for brekkie, I froze my ass off making my way to the courthouse. I didn't have my dress coat, and thought, "Oh the courthouse is only a block or so away, I'll be fine." It was 30 degrees this morning, and there were high winds. An "all weather" suit down here is different than an "all weather" suit up there. Distinctly different. I got to the courthouse, thawed out my hands, and met our attorney and his associate. I was glad he brought the associate, who was a sharp guy, and seemed to have a lot of enthusiasm. I was glad I brought extra documentation that I had organized, because their file on the case was a mess. Attorneys LOVE paper. They always want more of it. But it is never really organized, and usually is flowing out of overstuffed manila folders. My theory is that they make nests with it, like chimpanzees. This behavior has yet to be observed by Sir David Attenborough.

We went over the case, and proceeded to the court building. Things didn't look good, because the judge who drew the case oversaw criminal cases as well. He had a full criminal docket, and I was told that it could be late afternoon, or even several days, before he got to our case. He was intending for us to settle this case. Of course we had already tried that, but the defendant had resisted all overtures. His attorney has a reputation for being a loon, and being totally unable to manage her clients. Sometimes you have to do that.

Fortune smiled, and we were told that a retired and very distinguished judge (the guy had been profiled on the History Channel yet) was in the building, and agreed to try to act as arbiter on the case. We eventually worked things out. We didn't get what we should have, but I think we'll get something.

After a very nice lunch and most stimulating conversation with the attorneys at a posh restaurant near the courthouse (this was more like it), I had a bit of time to kill before my flight. Unwilling optimist that I am, I dropped in a small bar on the way to the airport that I had looked up. This being a Thursday afternoon, it was pretty quiet. My problem this afternoon was just the opposite. This bar didn't have a very beautiful clientele either ("Jurassic" pretty much covers it), but I actually had a bit too much attention today. (There is just no pleasing some whiny fuckers, is there?) After being chased around by a chattier, younger version of Ben Stein for a while, I did meet a nice enough bear guy. We had a drink and talked a bit, and he was at least friendly. Once again, no beauty, but at least pleasant.

Then it was off to the airport again, my most favorite place to be treated like cattle. The temp on the way hit 35 degrees, the warmest it had been while I was there. I was assured by the attorneys that it was exceptionally nice weather today for them for this time of year. All the more reason to get my butt home. I did at least have my regular coat to wear.

After changing the gate on the flight to the one directly the furthest away that was still on the same concourse, they announced that the flight was over-booked, and were asking for a volunteer to fly out tomorrow. After several increasingly lucrative offers, they then threatened to bump someone if there wasn't a "volunteer". They then abruptly started seating the flight. As usually happens, I ended up wedged in next to one of the biggest guys on the plane. I really didn't mind, as he was conspicuously gorgeous, with big furry manly-muscled arms and pecs you could eat breakfast off of. He, however, seemed distinctly uncomfortable. Oh well, not my fault. After all the threats, we ended up with one vacant seat on the plane. Apparently two people missed the flight after all that. The plane, though swelteringly hot inside, did take off fairly on time - a small miracle.

This South Carolina boy is glad to be home.

I had sworn that after all this, I was sure as HELL not doing any laundry tonight. But I did anyway.

No comments: