Thursday, March 27, 2008

Back to Russ and Billy's

I had forgotten to get an extra cake pan from Billy, since this recipe calls for 3. Fortunately, Billy had three that matched, so I just borrowed all three. Also picked up the coconut that they were giving me. It's not on Weight Watchers, so he said they wouldn't use it.

I also went shopping for the cake stuff.

I am really nervous about making this cake. It will be by far the most elaborate thing I have ever made. I am no baker, and this cake is leavened primarily by beaten egg whites. I just know it's going to fall.

I was talking to Mom tonight on the phone. I had to call in the expert because I was at the store without my recipe and needed to double-check on the nuts. I also wanted to make sure the coconut would be OK, and that I didn't need to buy fresh. I found out that, contrary to my belief, Mom hasn't actually made this cake before. It is from a book she says is good though. I was thinking I was using a vetted recipe, so there was no need for a trial run. Looks like I'm going to just be nipples to the wind tomorrow though... It is so good to have a mom to call when I'm in over my head. She knows me so well too. She said "You better have a glass of wine or something and sit down for a while before you start baking - you know you can't bake when you're stressed. Your cakes fall when you try it." Which is absolutely true.

So I put a bottle of wine in the fridge for tomorrow when I got home.

No comments: