Thursday, July 12, 2012

A post in which I go out with Fran*

The slog of fucktards continues at work.  Two new accounts today, both with complicated dispute problems that require digging (which for the most part, as usual, has not been done), plus a series of emails with another account who wants to discuss their "full history of major service issues" on a contract.  Oy.  Of course no one has prepared any response to this list of grievances.  Enough about that.

I talked to my buddy Jeff today, and ended up going over there.  Despite being really glad to see him, there was a lot going on, and the visit didn't go terrifically well.  Plus it was all the way across town and back in lunch traffic.  Sheesh.

The upside of the day was that I was having dinner with Fran tonight.  She doesn't come to town that often, but I enjoy seeing her.  She was here about this time last year, when I was still in the diagnosis stage, and feeling badly, and not knowing why.  We went to Miyako for supper (this was before the one in Greenville closed) and I introduced her to the madras, which she had never had before, but really liked.  She tried getting them when she went back to Minnesota, but unsurprisingly they weren't as good.

Since Miyako in Greenville merged with Irashiai, that's where we went tonight.  We stopped in the bar for some madras cocktails, which were good, but not as good as the ones we had last year.  Then it was on to a table for supper. 

I caught up on Fran's life, her ongoing struggle to be a good mother, wife, daughter, and sister to a demanding family.  I try to carefully weigh what I say to Fran because I believe she thinks I am smarter than I actually am (or at least she gives good appearance of such). 

I caught her up on what was going on with me.  We talked about my return to health and a very little bit about treatment.  We had talked about it on the phone, and it's something I don't like to re-live.  Tonight was more about how wonderful my friends and the staff at the cancer center were.  She was very excited to hear about Jason, and I told her about him (although, troublingly, I didn't hear from him today when I sent him a text, but then he's busy right?).  It was a pleasant evening, and I ate as if I was planning to foi gras my own liver. 

Then I went home and went to bed.  One more day and I can put this frustrating work week behind me.  I've really had quite enough.

No comments: