Friday, July 27, 2012

A post in which I have a small moral dilemma

Work was mostly quiet today, which was good.

On the way home I stopped at CVS for my prescriptions.  While I was there, I was moseying around looking at stuff, partially because there were of course 8,000 people in line, as per usual.  I've been trying not to do as much shopping, and since there isn't much there that I want, that's a good place to not be tempted.  Today, however, I was.  They had honey roasted cashews on sale.  Two for $10.  I was about to leave them because I really didn't need to spend the money, and in fact had walked away, when I remembered that I had ExtraBucks.  I had $6.50 in ExtraBucks this month.  I decided to get them, so I got in line.  The woman rang me up, scanned my coupon, and said "That will be fifty cents." ??  When I got outside I checked the receipt and they had rung up at the wrong price.

Now.  I didn't really need to spend the money.  That four dollars would mean a lot more to me than it ever would to CVS.  Had I left, no one would have ever known but me and God.  But it is a moral breach.  I started thinking to myself your life was just spared THIS YEAR - is this really the man you want to be? So I went back in. There was still a line of course, and waiting so long in line at CVS (where they always have at least two closed registers) is one of my favorite annoyances.  But at that point, it was just obvious the devil was testing me.  I went to find a sales associate.  She confirmed that the price rang up wrong (after I explained it to her twice), and we went to find a manager.  The manager and I know each other to speak to (I freaking lived in there during chemo).  She is very nice.  She said "We don't set the pricing here.  That's done at corporate."  I explained that I just wanted to make them aware, and was trying to do the right thing.  She said "I know that, and you're one of the few.  But take the blessing and go on."  So I did.  I got my cashews for fifty cents, and I got to do so with a clear conscience.  Yay me.

My new plan is that when I see Miss Kat and Dana on Friday, I give them the next Friday off.  I'm trying not to wear my friends out.  But I had gotten them a movie last weekend, I had a book I needed to return to Miss Kat, and I made the decision to go get the catfish that were haunting my dreams.  I have been thinking about that fish all week, which is just crazy.  So I hied myself hence to the Silver Bay, secured a table, and ordered that fish.  While I was waiting, I sent Dana a text to find out what they were doing, and got the OK to go by and see them. 

That fish was exactly as delicious as I remembered.  I was glad I ordered the 'small' portion, which came with two large fillets, a whole large potato, a big salad, and a bowl of hush puppies too.


After eating way too much, I went to see Miss Kat and Dana, and had a lovely visit.  Dana was watching a movie called Men of Honor - not ordinarily the kind of thing I would watch, but it was OK.  I got into it after a while.  Charlize Theron was in it, looking utterly gorgeous in her most casual scene, so I lusted over her clothes and jewelery.

Charlize Theron, looking utterly gorgeous, and in a killer set o' beads to boot

No comments: