Monday, July 16, 2012

A post in which it is a fairly bleah day, but ends nicely*

I didn't feel good today.  I didn't feel like doing much of anything, although I did manage to go by and have a little visit with a breath-taking man this morning. 

In general though, I just felt, and was, pretty worthless. 

I did some laundry.  I made some bread from an interesting mix I bought at Deal Mart yesterday.  It's called Pan de Queso, and is apparently Colombian in origin.  It turned out pretty good, and was very easy to make, but for some reason having a whole batch of it (and perhaps - perversely - realizing how easy it was to make) made it less gorgeously delicious than it was when we had it in the restaurant.  It was something that RBL turned me on to. 

I got caught up in a Pawn Stars marathon, and pretty much wallowed in my own worthlessness today.

Eventually I got ready to go to RBL's, but the plan had changed.  Billy had forgotten that they had made plans to go to Vince and Brian's tonight to go through clothes.  Vince is a bit of a clothes horse, and they are having to downsize before they go to Oregon, because the place they are moving into there is much smaller than where they are now. 

Russ and Logan lucked out, and Billy got a pair of leather pants.  There wasn't much there to fit me, but I did get a couple of shirts and a bathing suit that I will likely never wear.

We decided to go out for Chinese food, and ended up at House of Chan.  I had never eaten there, but they wanted Chinese, and Billy doesn't like Chinese buffet.  There really aren't that many sit-down Chinese places around any more.  HoC wasn't either.  They do the vast majority of their business as take out, but there were four sad little tables up front.  In good company, it was fine - and we had a touchingly gay guy waiting on us.  I daringly ordered curry shrimp, which was pretty freakin' spicy.  It was OK.  The heat level in our food was all over the place.  My food and Vince's food was really hot.  Billy's was mild.  It was OK.  As usual, I was there more for the company than the food, and I ate all my dinner, so I suppose I shouldn't complain.  I wouldn't order that again though. 

After we finished we went over to the nearby ice cream parlor for a scoop.  I had thought about it as a way to put out the fire, but by the time we finished eating I really just wanted the ice cream.  I was walking through the place, looking at these just ridiculous flavors of ice cream, thinking who the hell over the age of nine would this appeal to?  Then my mind was like oh yeah, right.  I had rum raisin, and it was a little frosted from not being scooped that much.  That's an old-timey flavor, and I guess there isn't as much call for it.  Logan had something called Play Dough ice cream.  Yeah.  It was a blaring yellow not found in nature - to the point that I wondered how the hell much food coloring it took to make a color like that? - but he seemed to like it. 

We split after ice cream, Vince and Brian to head home, RBL and I off for a Wal-Mart run.  I didn't buy anything (thankfully).  Billy and I looked at housewares while Logan went to games and Russ went off on one of his seemingly endless errands.  But it's fun to go just about anywhere with RBL.

By the time we got back to the house, I was a pumpkin again.  But it had been a nice evening, and I was feeling a bit better.

No comments: