Sunday, July 15, 2012

A post in which we go out to lunch

I was up and motivated again this morning, strangely.  I did a load of laundry and made my squash casserole for lunches this week.  Since I tried a new recipe last time, I went traditional this time.  It turned out good, but too salty, which is pretty much how Grandma Shumate's used to come out. 

I got in touch with Billy, who told me there were no plans for the day, but to just come on over and hang out.   That was why I had gotten my chores done early.  With Sabrina and Wendy still in town I figured there would be something going on today.  Billy told me Russ was still in the bed, so I decided to take some time for some long-overdue foot maintenance.  It took longer than I thought.  I finished off with some Aveda Foot Cream that Eve had given me, and was frankly astonished!  I will be getting some more of that. 

Because of the extra time I spent on my feet (however stunningly they turned out) though, I was almost late for lunch.  I skreeked into RBL's just in time to get to Pho Noodleville, a visit to which had apparently been a special request of the guests.  I had the vegetable curry today, and it was one of the best things I have eaten there.  I am generally not a huge Noodleville fan, but RBL are big aficionados.

After lunch we ran through Deal Mart for a browse.  I had been curious about the place for a while but had never been in there.  I have to say I was pretty impressed.  The prices were great, and a lot of the stuff was name brand.  I bought some very high fiber cereal (13g per serving - my colon may well just explode) for $1 a box.  The prices on cereal are just crazy.  I will be back in this place.  I saw several things I could use.

Sabrina took off to visit another friend, and after a detour through Whole Foods to pick up some dessert (a 5-freakin'-dollar piece - yes one piece - of cheesecake for yours truly, which I must admit was telish), and to say hello to Vince, we took Wendy back to the ranch to settle in with a movie.  Mindful of trying to make better use of my time, I had brought a bag of mending with me in case we ended up with any downtime.  The movie Billy decided on today was Bear City.  It was OK.  The guys in it were pretty.  They looked like real bears, I suspect because most of them really are.  But the writing was pretty bad in places, and I found it hard to sympathize with the protagonist, a young beautiful boy finding it very difficult to find love amongst the bears.  Because we all know what a hard time young beautiful boys have finding boyfriends in the bear community, right?  *Yeah.*  But I've seen worse, and it wasn't vile.  There were some sexy scenes in it.  Had I not been so distracted with mending a sheet, I suspect I might have enjoyed it a tad more. 

I was working on a sheet from a set of ice blue ones I have.  Not only is it a favorite set of sheets, I bought them with one of the last Christmas checks Granny Brown ever sent me, so there is a bit of a sentimental attachment there.  I haven't been able to use them for some time because they've been on the mending pile.  More of the seam I was repairing was gone than I thought, and it was a bigger job than I had anticipated, but I did eventually get it put back together.  Sadly, I didn't get to the pair of brown tweed plaid pants that have been in the mending bag practically forever; but they're out of season right now anyway.

Sabrina returned, collected Wendy and the dogs, and they took their leave. 

I hung out with the boys for the evening, and we raided their fridge for dinner.  There were plenty of leftovers from the cookout they had Saturday.  I was disappointed to find that I had missed seeing Carol, an old friend of Billy's I really like.

But when True Blood came on, it was 9pm, and I was turning into a pumpkin.  I left with an invitation to come back tomorrow night to graze on leftovers.

No comments: