Saturday, July 14, 2012

A post in which I go to a dinner party


I was up early today, determined not to waste this Saturday the way I did last week.  To that end, I got moving.  I went to the flea market, where I was pleased to see one of my favorite local sellers had started bringing in their produce.  They had Cherokee Purple tomatoes - YUM.  I got some of those and some beautiful baby squash, which I decided to casserole-ize.  Then I bought some peaches. 

The Disney DVD seller who used to be up at Barnyard showed up at my local market today, and after consulting with Lisa I picked up some movies for Ava's birthday.  She also called to invite Rhonda and me to Ava's birthday party at the baby ho sto in Columbia.  Then I ran by the grocery store and headed home.

Tonight I was invited to Miss Kat and Dana's for dinner.  Dana called to tell me that Lori and JP would be there also - yay.  I haven't seen them in forever.  I had picked up stuff to make cherry yum yum for dessert, and Dana was excited about that.  So I made yum yum and futzed around the house for a while before I got ready to go.  I had thought about getting to work on my casserole today, but Dana told me to come early so we could visit for a while before L & JP arrived.  I was happy to oblige.

Dinner was lovely.  Miss Kat had salad, some kind of 'bake at home' bread that turned out great, and a fettuccine alfredo casserole with shrimp and mozzarella.  It was telish!  My cherry yum yum was well received, although I thought my graham cracker crumbs were a bit stale.  I should have toasted them.  Still, it was good.

It was great to see everyone, and we had a really nice visit.  I'm worried about Lori. She looks wiped out - it's having all the children and grandchildren in the house all the time, I'm sure.  They both seemed thrilled to get away for a while, and it really bothers me that she's raising another generation. 
We ended up watching Pink Floyd - The Wall, which was rather a heavy way to finish off the evening, even taking into consideration that we were in the perfect frame of mind to watch it.  When that was over, I left for home. 

No comments: