Monday, July 23, 2012

A post in which it is a day off together*

Jason and I enjoyed a quiet morning at home together.  We had coffee on the porch, ate muffins (supplied by Russ after Billy rejected them as being non-Weight Watchers friendly), and I did some laundry since he hadn't brought enough clothes with him.  That was fine by me. 

Eventually we decided to go out and do something.  We got cleaned up and went out to lunch at Don Pablo's (yes, more Mexican, which we apparently both love) and then afterwards we made a sweep through Antiques Plus (aka the Friendly Man Antique Store) just because I hadn't been in there for a while, and I had a yen.  The Friendly Man himself wasn't in today, but one of the nicest helpers was.  We had a good rummage 'round, and Jason was conspicuously charming to her - to the point that she was giving us vacation advice and taking things out of the case for him to look at. I hadn't really thought (well, not seriously) about buying more stuff today, but as sometimes happens, the glass luck seems to come in spurts.  I found another little part of a Christmas present, and bought a lovely platter for a surprisingly good price - almost half of book.  I almost never find a deal on Adam pieces.  I wasn't sure about the deal at the time because I hadn't even brought my backpack with me. 

Adam 11 3/4" platter in pink by Jeannette Glass, circa 1932-1934

We headed back home to start preparations for supper.  I cooked some green beans I had gotten at the flea market yesterday, and then we packed up that and some cucumber salad I whipped up yesterday, along with some other odds and ends. 

We stopped off at the grocery store for Brussels sprouts on the way.  They are Russ's favorite, but Billy and Logan don't like them, so Billy doesn't usually make them for him.  We ended up with quite a nice meal.  We had the green beans and cucumber salad. I made the sprouts we picked up at the store.  I also made some of my new buffalo potato recipe, which I'm calling 'papas and beer'.  Billy put a steak on the grill for the omnivores.  It was nice.  Everything I made turned out really good too, which is unusual when I'm showing off (just a little for Jason). 

I cleaned up the kitchen while RBL chatted with Jason and tried to figure up the number of Weight Watchers points in papas and beer. Despite my giving them the measurements and even having the bottle that the hot sauce for them to refer to with nutrition information, it seemed to take forever.  There was a lot of debate back and forth.  I cleaned the whole kitchen while they discussed.  Not that I really minded.  I would have been bored to tears anyway with that discussion, and Billy has cleaned up many, many meals after feeding me. 

We had picked up the makings for a fruit salad, but by the time Russ got in from work, we ate, and the clean-up was done, it was time for me to head home to bed.  I had to work tomorrow.  So we left most of the fruit (I took the fresh raspberries - they are my favorite, and Russ doesn't like them, plus they are hella expensive) and headed on home to turn in.  It had been a very nice, companionable day, spent in the company of a man who loves me.  You can't ask for more than that. 

No comments: