Thursday, January 28, 2010

A post in which Russ returns

Russ and Billy got back from Savannah today. Russ has been on my mind a lot lately, of course, and I was very glad he was home. I had an appointment to get my hair cut today, and was a week overdue already, but Russ didn’t feel like working today. I could certainly understand that. One more week of Donnie Osmond disco hair seemed like a small enough sacrifice on my part.

They did ask that I come to the house tonight, along with Ben. It was very low-key. Russ seems to be handling this pretty well.

We went out to Texas Roadhouse for supper. I had fried fish, and even more big ole fat steak fries. I should have gotten something else, but that was all that really appealed to me. They do have a ‘vegetable plate’, but there are only three green vegetables in the list, one of which was green beans cooked with meat. They do have good Caesar salad though.

Billy told me over supper that Russ’s mother had made a point of making him feel welcome, and went out of her way to thank him for coming. I think the only person who thinks Russ isn’t out to his parents may be Russ, but that’s his life. I know from experience, you just don’t have to tell your mama. She already knows; and from little anecdotes related at supper, his dad knew too.

After supper we just went back to the house and smoked and talked. Sometimes it isn’t what you do. It’s just being there that really matters.

We also watched a movie called Role Models. Billy confessed it was one of his favorites. With the exception of the cringingly dildonic medieval role-playing scenes and Paul Rudd’s ear-curdling song (unless he is a much better actor than I thought, this man shouldn’t even sing in the shower), it was fairly watchable. I was more than amply compensated for any deficits in the movie by the nude scene Seann William Scott did. Who cares if he can act? That man is freaking gorgeous. Even with no fur. But of course the movie really wasn’t what mattered anyway.

We spent some time together, laughed, renewed the bond, and reminded Russ that there are still plenty of people who love him left on earth.

No comments: