Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A post in which I have supper with Dick and Eve

I've been thinking a good bit about my project for the Kindred this week. Don't want to put it off and have tons to do a the last moment. Not only would it be stressful, it would hardly be respectful to handle my pledge job in such a slapdash manner. I started putting together a list of recipes today for the cookbook. I also put together a mailing list for the members to make my monthly status reports easier to send out.

Well what with Russ’s dad passing and all, it made me think about my own dad. I called Dick and Eve and scheduled dinner with them tonight. I started thinking on the way over there that I hadn’t ever done anything for Dad’s birthday. It’s on December 19th, and when Lisa & Co. came up for his annual birthday visit this year I was sick. That was shortly before I was diagnosed with Epstein Barr, and not knowing what was wrong with me, I didn’t want to expose them all. So I bought dinner tonight.

Good enough deal for me. We went to Portofino’s, to which I am now officially addicted. We had a very nice waitress, named Rita, to whom Dad took quite a shine and extolled to the manager with golden praise on the way out. We did have excellent service. Of course I had some more of their gorgeous tortellacci. It was as wonderful as usual.

After supper, we went back to the house for a visit. Eve hadn’t seen my car before, and I took care to turn around in the parking lot on the way out so she would see Gracine from her best angle – the front – the first time she saw her. She was quite complimentary, and Dad continues to live vicariously through my gas mileage, which is now hovering around 41MPG. He seems to wholeheartedly approve of my choice, but then when I bought the Bomber he said he liked it too. He now tells me that he never liked that car, and thought it was a girl’s car. Whatever.

We had a pleasant visit, and avoided the Cindy and Paul thing for most of the evening.

Dad was very amused that I wanted to go home and get my cotton in tonight on FarmVille, but he had a TV program he wanted to watch anyway.

So I hugged them both, told them I loved them, wished Dad a belated Happy Birthday, and headed home.

No comments: