Saturday, January 2, 2010

A post in which it is time for the SC Bears Holiday party!

I was determined not to miss this party. The problem was I had shit I had to do today.

First, I had to go to the flea market to get provisions. I've been living on junk food and take-away for the last week, and it was time to lay in some lunches for next week. I didn't want to have to go in the morning because I wasn't sure what kind of shape I would be in after the party. Off to the flea market I went. It was clear, but butt-ass cold and windy. Almost none of the yard sale people were there, which was actually good because I wasn't tempted to stay out any longer than I had to. I got my veggies and got out.

On the way home I went by the bank. The house boy was coming back today. This was a treat for myself. The whole house is clean right now except for the kitchen and bathroom - they seemed to get the worst of the workmen dirt and tracking as well. I am just in no shape to finish up. So I hired the house boy to come back in today to do those two rooms. I ran through the grocery store on the way in. I had invited people to come watch and have coffee. I was out of cream, and had to have that if I had people coming in. While I was there, I finally picked up some Emergen-C. The nurse had recommended it, but frankly, I was skeptical. It's basically just a multi-vitamin, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Robert showed up pretty much on time, and I put him to work. It was difficult, but I pretty much glued myself to the couch. It makes me feel like a slug to lay about while someone else is working in the house. To distract myself, I watched The Virgin Suicides on OnDemand. I had been meaning to see it, and it was free. It was a good movie, but pretty damn depressing. Still, the writing was excellent. I'm sure the book was better, but I don't know if I could make it through it or not.

After that I took a bit of a nap, and we watched part of the Carolina game while he finished up. Disappointingly for him, no one showed up to watch - he likes an audience.

Rodney dispatched, I suddenly remembered that the party tonight was a covered dish. It started at 6. It was 4pm. I needed to make Grandma Shumate's Sweet Potatoes because they are Billy's favorite. After he fixed my computer on Christmas Eve, I'm his bitch for an as-yet unspecified time. I ran to the grocery store and got them in the oven in about 45 minutes, which wasn't bad. While they baked I finished getting ready and wrapped presents. I wrapped my present for the gift exchange, and then wrapped Grandma Shumate's gift. Dick and Eve were going to Wilkesboro tomorrow, and I wanted to send it up with them.

I dropped by their house, dropped her gift off, then started trying to find this party. Of course I hadn't written down directions because I was just going to tap it into the GPS; but the house, of course, wasn't on the GPS. So off into the wilds of Greer went I. I really hate having to try to find places like that, but Russ was very helpful and eventually I got there. I was in a mood when I walked in, but after half a cocktail and some help from my friends, I settled in and felt much better.

I enjoyed the party and the gift exchange was fun. There were a lot of the regulars there, and it was good to see everyone. We were smoking in the garage rather than outside, which was good, but eventually it was just too drafty for me. Every time it would start to get warm in there, someone would open the door to vent the smoke and it would be freezing. I thought they had an exceptionally drafty garage until I walked outside and realized it was still butt-ass cold! The temp was 21F when I got in the car - brrrrrr!

It was time for me to go, drafts or not. I could tell I had already used up my allotment of energy. But I felt fine (not completely drained, just tired) and didn't mind leaving when I did. Gracine went home quietly, and breathed hot air on my feet when she got warmed up. I was glad to get to my bed.

No comments: