Saturday, January 16, 2010

A post in which I am naughty, and go antiquing

I really should have stayed at home today and worked in the house, but life is just too short. This is the mindset that allows the place to get so filthy. Having been out Friday night, and planning to entertain on Sunday, I already had this weekend fairly booked, but just couldn't resist. I love going off with Justin, and Amanda was coming with us. I don't think I've even seen her since November, and I just adore her.

They were late, so I went on to the grocery store to buy the food for tomorrow. I didn't think I would feel like doing it after they left, which proved to be the case.

Justin was bringing a 'plus 1' for brunch tomorrow, and did today as well. It wasn't the guy I was expecting though. It was his friend Drew. Apparently it has been too long since I enjoyed the company of a man. I was majorly sexed up by Drew all day. Every time he walked in front of me it was just all I could do not to bite his neck or something. He of course is lusting for Justin, and was completely oblivious to my constant flirting. Since I am a gay man, this of course merely increased my ardor. To no avail.

But I digress. One of the reasons for the trip was that Justin wanted to go back in the thrift store in Pickens where we found such cool stuff last week. Accordingly, we decided to start there and work our way back. As I suspected though, we had pretty much picked that place clean. We had again marked the place we always end up missing on the way out there though, and we actually stopped in there today. When we first walked in, it looked like a Babies R Us had thrown up in there - the vast majority of the merchandise consisted of primary-colored toys and books, along with more car seats than I have ever seen in one place. We plowed in anyway. Drew found a vintage video game system and got that. There was a small area of electronics in the back room. In stock was a CD playing alarm clock. I have long wanted one, but they are pretty expensive. The last I looked at them, $150-200, which was why I didn't have one already. I figured it couldn't possibly work, and passed it by. But Drew asked the store owner if he could plug in his video game before he bought it, and I decided to check it out. I went to the car and got a CD, then carried it to the register. It played. So I paid $24 for it. Checking online later, I note that they are now significantly cheaper than the last time I priced them, but that didn't decrease my victory in the least at the time.

We also went out to a remote store called The Lamb. We had been by there last time, but they hadn't been open. They had an excellent selection of really nice things, but they had some fairly ambitious prices on the stuff. We gave it a look-see, and I ended up talking to the owners a bit. They had a couple of pieces of Bubble glass I wanted, including an elusive flat soup. They cut me a deal and I got them. I don't really like places that mark things too high and then make you dicker with them, but they were nice folks.

By this time it was about 4pm, and we were all starving. We ended up going for Mexican at Los Amigos. Their food is consistently good, and we enjoyed it. Drew actually started talking to us (he had been on his phone on the internet for most of the day) and showed heretofore unexpected depths and some surprising political opinions. I enjoyed talking to him, but of course the fact that he is smart just made me all the hotter, which was of course futile.

On the way in from Easley, I suggested that we stop at Big Lots on an impulse. I think that was the most fun stop of the day. Amanda is moving in to her own place and took the opportunity to peruse the 'failed food ideas' section that is always my favorite part of the Big Lots trip. We both got into it and ended up going back to get carts. For some reason I also bought yet more fabric softener. I have four bottles now; but it was a good price, OK? $50 later I emerged triumphant with a bunch of strange groceries, including some Mrs Sullivan's pecan pies. I just loved the slogan on the box: "I luv Pie" LOL

We went back to my place to relax for a bit. I had told Mom that I would go to TJ Maxx this weekend, but by this time it was raining, and we were tired, and no one felt like going back out. That was fine. We had an excellent visit. It turns out that Drew and I are both passionate about bad movies, and we compared notes on the movie Showgirls, which we both love. I ended up digging out Vegas in Space, and we all just hung out, watched that, and ate Big Lots junk food. It was a capital evening.

This is exactly the kind of thing I want to do more of. It's so hard for me to be impulsive. It is a big goal for me to let go of having to have the house perfect and just have people in because I enjoy it. I would never have thought to have a Big Lots trip and junk food movie night, but it was one of the most fun evenings at my place in many a day. I want to do it again!

When they left, I was preparing for bed when I realized it was only about 8:30. That was good. I gave the house a quick straighten up and washed all the dishes. I spent about a half hour messing around with my new alarm clock and figured out how to set it. We'll see if it works - I've got folks to cook for in the morning!

No comments: