Monday, January 4, 2010

A post in which I go back to work

In the butt-ass cold, which seems to have settled in for the week. Despite wearing boots and hiking socks my feet were like blocks of ice all day today. Apparently I am just never going to have warm feet in the office any more. It was again 21F on the way in today, but Gracine still just topped 40MPG on the way in. That's the first time that has happened.

Work, as expected, was piled high. This is about the only time I take a week off, and even with planning and the holidays there was still a huge backlog, plus month end to do as well. I settled in, rolled up my sleeves, and started to make order again. It helped that my boss was out today and I could concentrate on work rather than running down inane requests.

A lot of the stuff I ordered while I was off came in today. I got my car mats and my new bedspread. I would have gotten my cargo cover as well, but they sent the wrong thing. They're supposed to be sending the correct item, but I'll have to return the window visors they sent today on my day off next week. I was glad stuff came in while my boss was out. I talked to the girls at work about Gracine and how she's training me to drive like an old man in a hat.

I was really tired. Of course since I had stuff to do, I had insomnia last night. The Emergen-C helped. I worked steadily through the day, but I was really ready to go home when the time came. Unfortunately some git had an accident right at the Pelham Road exit, backing traffic up for miles. I had to go to the store anyway, but only needed a couple of things. I just decided to go ahead and eat supper out first and wait for the traffic to ease up. I went out for Mexican and finished up my latest Laurell K Hamilton book, The Killing Dance. By the time I headed home at 7 the roads were clear. That doesn't always work, but thankfully it did tonight.

When I got home I really just wanted to go to bed, but I stayed up a bit to feed my virtual fish and chat online for a bit before I turned in.

No comments: