Monday, January 11, 2010

A post in which it is my day off

I had the kind of day off today that I usually plan, but seldom actually execute.

I woke up feeling surprisingly well considering the long day and all the partying yesterday. I was up early, and futzed around for a bit before making some breakfast and trying to lie back down. The primary function of the day off was to make sure I recovered and was ready to go back to work tomorrow. I didn’t go back to sleep though, so after about an hour I got back up and started getting ready to face the day.

I got things together to run errands, loaded the car, and hit the road shortly after 11am. I dropped the recycling, and then took a load to Goodwill – it seems I always have a load for Goodwill these days. After that I ran by UPS to drop the mistaken shipment I got from the Honda people for return. For being such a good boy, I treated myself to lunch out at Saffron – they have a lovely lunch buffet that is a constant test of my will-power, but I was being indulgent today.

I ran by Whole Foods to pick up a couple of things that couldn’t be purchased elsewhere, and then ran home to put them away. I needed to go get groceries and cook today, but I wanted to have a little enjoyment as well. Telling myself sternly that I would not go to Southern Estates, I went down to Anne’s Antiques to have a look round. I had wanted to go there Saturday, but Justin reminded me we had just been there a couple of weeks ago. He was right, it was too soon. I did buy a little Glasbake ramekin, mainly because it was my Glasbake pattern, and I just don’t think you can have too many ramekins.

I started up the road, and then remembered I need still more plate stands. That was as good an excuse as any, and so I naughtily went in Southern Estates anyway. They do have a great selection of plate stands there. I picked up a bunch, and then had a rummage through the store. They do have two pieces I’d like to have, but both of them are priced high, and after buying all that glass last weekend I really couldn’t justify buying them. There is a Cloverleaf luncheon plate only a few dollars over book, and a Madrid console bowl that is at about twice book price. It’s pretty, but not that pretty. Plus, it’s amber. I usually don’t buy amber glass.

Leaving there, I headed to The Fresh Market. I love to shop there. It smells like coffee instead of disinfectant, and they play classical music. Whether you are affluent or not, it makes you feel that way to go in. Ordinarily I don’t shop there, but Miss Kat and dana had gotten me a gift card there for my birthday which I had decided to redeem today (I had so much fun spending my Christmas gift card last week that it had put me in mind to do it).

At first I was trying to be practical. But The Fresh Market isn’t really a practical store. I’d decided to make White Trash Spaghetti for lunches this week, and needless to say many of the ingredients weren’t in stock at The Fresh Market. There was no way I was going to ask someone there where the Velveeta was. I thought when I got the card that I eat pretty well, and fairly indulgently, but then I started seeing the kinds of things that I want, but ordinarily don’t buy. Miss Kat and dana had told me to use the card for little luxuries that I don’t usually buy for myself, and that’s exactly what I did. I geared up and bought me some fancy groceries. I got Goat’s Milk Gouda (one of my very favorites), Lingonberry preserves, roasted salted pecans, grapefruit candy, and the ingredients for one of my very favorite meals: crostini, Fresh Market pimento cheese, and grape tomatoes. I found lots of little dainties I wanted – to the extent that when I went to check out, I had spent $85!

On the way home, I had to stop at Publix still to fill in the ingredients I hadn’t been able to get at Fresh Market. I emerged triumphant, having spent another $38.

When I got home, I had spent almost $160 on groceries today, and still had no cream for my coffee. In the frenzy I had forgotten it. But I have some good food to eat this week!

I put everything away and started cooking. I put the spaghetti together (stopping only to sit down for a minute and eat some excellent Whole Foods pizza for supper), but by the time I got done it was too late to bake it tonight. I just stuck it in the fridge, cleaned up the kitchen, and got ready for bed. I had hoped to maybe get the new valances for the bedroom run up today, but had just run out of day. I guess they'll be there.

It’s been another full day, but a very fun day. I’m pretty much ready to face the week.

No comments: