Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A post in which I continue to do well

I woke up today feeling OK. I’m still slow in the morning, but by the time I move around a bit I get up to speed pretty fast.

I had coffee and a cigarette in the house because it’s just too butt-ass cold outside to go out on the porch. I’m not sitting outside at 18-21F. Eve gave me a peppermint-scented candle that they said was so strong they couldn’t stand it, but it hasn’t bothered me, and keeps the house from smelling like cigarettes. That’s a good compromise for while it is so incredibly cold.

I put gas in the car today – I had about an eighth to a quarter of a tank left, but didn’t want to worry about it since I planned to do a bit of shopping after work today. It took 8 gallons to fill it up, and there was about 330 miles on the odometer. That’s over 40MPG, and I can so live with that. I just started laughing when the gas pump cut off. I guess I only have a 10 gallon tank.

I felt pretty good again today, although my blood sugar got messed up. That’s just never a good thing. But other than that, I was fine.

My cargo hold cover came in today for Gracine and I put it in place after work. So now when I send the window things they sent me by mistake back, I’ll be done with it.

I did remember to bring my gift card today, so I went by Barnes & Noble after work. The Bette Davis collection I had my eye on had sold out over Christmas, and was pretty pricey anyway. I looked around for a bit and with the help of the very nice sales clerk found and ended up getting a DVD set of The Presidents, which I had meant to pick up after Christmas anyway. It was on sale too, so I had little balance left on my gift card.

I was just wandering around the store, trying to decide what to get to use up the rest of the balance on the card. If you don’t do it then, you lose the card, or never get around to it, or whatever. Life intervenes. I decided to pick up a copy of Patrick Stewart reading Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol. I have pretty typical tastes I guess, because Carol is my favorite Christmas story. The Muppets still do my favorite movie version, but for a book on CD, you just can’t beat Mr. Stewart. I checked this version out of the library a couple of years ago, and meant to get it this year to listen again, but never got around to it.

In the same store, I found yet another incredibly helpful clerk. She looked it up in the computer and called another store. She went out of her way to help me because she had to call the other store more than once to get the answer on it. She then put it on hold for me and I drove over to get it. Now I don’t have to worry about availability at the library any longer. I went home well pleased.

I thought about going out to eat just because I felt so good, but there were dibs and dabs in the fridge that needed to be eaten, so I dutifully went on home.

I'm getting hooked on the Food Network Challenge series. It's food voyeurism at it's worst, plus it's reality TV - two things that ordinarily I completely despise (and rant about for that matter) - but I have to admit that I was riveted by the Last Cake Standing tonight. Apparently the fates do truly conspire to make you become that which you despise. Well either that or irony just works overtime in my life.

Justin and I are scheduled to go antiquing on Saturday, and I’m really stoked about it now. I feel like I’ll be able to go and enjoy myself, rather than worry about when I’m going to poop out and how long I’m going to be down as a consequence. Dan’l and Jim’s party is on Sunday, and although the drama has commenced again about going, I’m still looking forward to it. I took Monday off, so I have a long weekend as well. I’ll be able to enjoy myself hopefully instead of just lying around convalescing. So I’m feeling a lot more optimistic today. I love having stuff to look forward to!

No comments: