Sunday, January 10, 2010

A post in which it is a very full, very fun Sunday

I woke up today feeling pretty good. I did a lot yesterday, but apparently I was able to do so. I was supposed to be at Russ’s house at 9:30, and of course with my being up so early that was no problem. It was still butt-ass cold, so I had on double pants, socks, a shirt and hoodie, plus a coat. I took gloves and a hat too. Annoyingly, I forgot to put Russ’s glass that I bought him yesterday in the car, despite having soaked the labels off, washed it, and wrapped it in unprinted newspaper to keep it from getting smudged.

We had our usual stop at Starbucks for coffee while we caught each other up on the latest goings on with mutual acquaintances.

We got to Duncan in good spirits, but there were very few people there. It was still below freezing and there were very few shoppers. After last weekend, there were very few vendors either. Even the vegetable seller didn’t show up. Since we were there, we walked through anyway, and did the smaller junkie flea market just up the road, but there was very little on offer. The one thing I did find was something to complete the Christmas joke I’ve been anticipating. I was very happy about that. Details later…

I didn’t stay to visit when I got back to Russ and Billy’s house; I had too much to do! I ran by the grocery store and picked up the ingredients to make David’s special extra-cheesy artichoke dip. That’s always a big hit, and I wanted to take something to the party. I hadn’t made one this holiday season because I hadn’t been anywhere much, and if no one else wanted some I did.

I got home, jumped in the kitchen, and put the dip together in record time. Then I got to rest for a half hour before I got up to put it in the oven and get ready for the party.

Dan’l and Jim were having the party at 3pm so people could come on a Sunday. That is the one beef about their party; it’s always on a Sunday, but that suits their schedule, and it is their party after all. I took tomorrow off work so I didn’t have to worry about recovery time.

About the time I got ready and got my party bag packed, R&B showed up. I usually ride out with them because I know the way, because I’m on their way there anyway, and because parking is at a premium.

The party was lovely, and it was great to see everyone, as always. There were a number of Australian folks there this time (Dan’l and Jim are always meeting exotic people), and one of them brought an authentic Pavlova. I’ve never eaten it before, but it was scrummy! Seldom do I feel out-classed culinarily, but when I saw that, my poor little artichoke dip just looked like something the country cousin had made. Nonetheless, it was devoured. There is always an impressive spread, but this year’s was spectacular, and everything was delicious.

So we visited and socialized and smoked the day away. When the sun went down it got very cold on the porch though. We had a very good time, then headed home shortly after 9pm. It had been a very good day, but I was glad to get into my warm bed.

No comments: